Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am able to post on FLocknockers.com. A guy posted about his daughter's first hunt and mentioned several times that he let his daughter shoot at the geese on the ground which often wasn't more than 10-15 yards away. He says he was instructing her on which ones to shoot so as not to shoot the decoys. His daughter got her first goose while it was sitting on the ground standing in the decoys. Does anyone else find this highly unethical? I have assisted with several youth hunts and have seen videos of several of my buddies. We would never shoot geese off the ground no matter how young the hunter was. I will probably get kicked off for the email I sent the admin, since he said I was trying to take away the guy's thunder by questioning the legality of shooting an uninjured bird off the ground. He said I was hypocritical by saying that since I don't shoot cripples in the air, but a cripple is a whole different ballgame. Was I wrong by bringing up this point?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I THINK YOU WERE RITE ON THE MONEY WITH YOUR COMMENTS...........THERE A POST OUT ON THIS SITE ABOUT POND JUMPING , I PERSONALRY DONT AGREE WITH THAT TYPE OF HUNTING, WE JUMP SHOOT BIRDS ,IF YOUR LUCKY YOU CAN DOUBLE UP , BUT HEARING G ABOUT GUYS KILLING 4,5,6,7 BIRDS IS NUTS , WHAT ABOUT THE HENS ,...................I 'M NOT A MEMBER OF FLOCKNOCKERS , I DO CRUISE IT , THEY SEEM A BIT FULL OF THEMSELVES ......................KS YOU BETTER OFF HERE .......................JMIKE :salude: P.S. GROUND SLUCING ISNT GOOD ETHICS NO MATTER WHAT THE HUNTERS AGE OR SKILL LEVEL IS

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I'm two for two today on not agreeing. :laughing:

Being someone's first hunt (especially a kid) I'll let them water or ground swat a bird. Once they get that first bird under their belt they're hooked and I won't let them shoot a sitting bird.

I used to water swat on occassion until I realized I liked to get them hovering about 10 feet off the water doing the back stroke. I believed then, and still do today that the guys who water swat are "hunting" better than the pass shooters. They fooled those birds all the way to the water. They got those wary birds to decide they would rather plop their feathery butts down in the decoys amongst their brethren. Not flying by 40 yards out.

I'm not saying pass shooting is wrong. I have situations that call for pass shooting. I will do it on occassion when we get some birds that have been in the area for a couple of weeks and "know the drill" so to speak. Everyone has their own way of doing things and IMO it's up to them as long as it's legal. :thumbsup:

yeller

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
#1 IMO what goes on at other sites-does not belong here, period. If you have a problem there, deal with it there, not here.

#2 It is called ethics--everyone personal ethics may be different than your own. It is one thing when someone is breaking the law-it is another when they is not breaking the law - but not a shared ethic for your self.

#3 I learnt long ago--if I stick my nose into other peoples business, I may get a bloodied nose.

#4 Before I hit send or enter and there is that little voive inside me saying "do not do it" I should listen to it alot more often from my personal experience. :oops:

#5 And lastly these are MY opinions, take it or leave, but I am entitled to them so long as I do not personally bash them over the head of somebody. But if I was saying something like: " You have to...." or "You are a _____ becuase I think you....." that is out of line and is personal bashing which is against DHC rules and against my ethics :mrgreen:

No whining allowed :yes:

The bottom line PJ is that Cliff has his rules--just like Chris has his rules here too. You violate them and consequences happen.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is shooting geese on the ground legal? I have never heard that it is legal. I thought the only birds you could legally shoot on the ground were turkeys. I have never heard of anywhere that you could land geese and smoke them while they were standing there. I could see letting them land then jumping them off and shooting them while they are in the air.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No wild gamebird (except turkey) may be
shot at unless that bird is in flight. (Turkeys
may be shot on the ground or in flight.)
this is from
http://www.kdwp.state.ks.us/PDF/Brochur ... B%2004.pdf The Kansas regs... period... As a matter of fact the way that reads you cant shoot cripples on the water unless theyre flying... but ill read that further... Id recomend to anyone to reread the regs each year as they do change sometimes...
PS it used to be stated that it was illegal to shoot in water, (bullets richochet) but i couldnt find that now...

·
Registered
450 Posts
imo shooting on the ground is not fun, but it CAN be dangerous. i went pheasent hunting and a guy a week before had his bird dog shot in the face cause a guy was trying to shoot a bird on the ground. if your going to be shooting on the ground be carefull.

had

·
Registered
12 Posts
All legagality issues aside... I can understand how someone would allow a youngster to shoot a bird on the ground, as it builds their confidence and "gets them hooked" on the sport. However, I would be hesitant to allow my own child to do it, for fear that it would develop into a hard to break habit. It is my personal belief that shooting any bird other than turkeys and the ground is neither sporting nor ethical. But as someone pointed out, ethics are determined by each individual, and will naturally vary from person to person. I believe that it is our responsibility to encourage those around us to only shoot birds that are in the air. I do not believe that it is appropriate for us to attack them personally by labeling them an "unethical hunter".

Preservation of the sport is everyone's responsibility.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
I shoot grouse on the ground all the time. When I was really young my dad and uncle use to take me out in the river and we would find cripples in the boat and they would let me shoot them. This was right after they changed it so you had to shoot steel, so there were cripples all over the river. It got me hooked on the sport, but I guess it is a lot different since we were just picking up cripples.

That said- I don't think I would let my kid shoot a bird standing on the ground if we were deking them, I would want them to shoot one out of the air as it is more exciting....

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know my first duck hunt I went on my uncle's had me ground pound my first duck. I thought it was awesome!!! I had tried, and tried to shoot ducks out of the air with no avail and to finally get one after all that trying, even though it was on the water, still made my day. I see absolutely no problem, whatsoever, about introducing a youngster to duck hunting by means of ground pounding. Eventually they'll find out its more fun to "hang with the big boys" and shoot them out of the air, but for a kid with little experience in the wild shooting live animals, letting them get a few sitting on the water will make their hunt and give them a memory that will last their whole life. I know I will never forget my first hunt!

As for the legality of it, I've never heard of it be illegal to shoot any animal on the ground, ducks, geese, or any upland birds for that matter. Ethically, if you're getting your limit and watching what you shoot, you're in the boundary of the laws. I like to shoot them out of the air, but usuallly my first duck of the season is a dumb teal that lands in the spread at opening light. DO I feel bad? No...but I guess to all his own. To me a dead duck is still just that...a dead duck!

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I can NOT believe what I have read on this topic!! :pissed: And I can not believe some of you call your self hunters, some of you sound like poachers.. You need to read into your hunting regulations BIG TIME!!!!!!! before your next trip to the field. As far as the kids first bird is concerned, everyone has there own way of doing that.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Holy Geeze Quackhead...simmer down...we're talking about ground swatting here...no need to get your panties in a bunch... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ND does not have a regulation on the shooting on birds sitting on the water. You may do such, but the practice is not regarded as "Sportsman like". This is more commonly referred to as "ground pounding" the birds.

NDGF

Jackie Lundstrom

That was a real shocker. Sorry for offending you guys.

·
Registered
271 Posts
After reading through this thread, it seems to me that we need a new piece of electronic equipment when hunting. A proximity sensor, or as we say down south, a "ferness" meter. It could have a light attached and prominently displayed for all in the hunting party to see. The light will display green when the bird is at an ethical distance and elevation. It will turn red when the bird is too high, low, far away, or otherwise not flying in the proper manner (not hovering, buzzing the decoys, flying away, etc).

We could load it with the Kansas state hunting regulations, since that is the only set that matters. We'll also hard code in a set of ethics that does not vary based upon the actual hunting situation. As an add-on we could leverage the same technology they are testing in the Missile defense system so that shells fired at 'out of bounds' birds will be shot down in mid-flight before they do any damage. Perhaps we could also program this sensor to recognize the heat signature of a shell over 3 inches long too? This of course would never be allowed and the projectile would be nullified.

I think I may have saved the Mojo Mallard decoy company by giving them a new product to market. It'll make millions!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Man, I CANNOT wait until season opens down here!!!!!!!!!

:withstupid:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts