Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you ever tried to buy some ducks from a store like rural king or somewhere. If so i would like to know. Im thinking about trying that and puting a few on my pond to see if that will pull any other ducks down.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Looked over the regs, I might have engaged my mouth prior to getting brain in gear, they seem to pertain to the hunt clubs that have pen raised mallards and having them out of sight if hunting nearby. Sorta strange reg., gotta look at it more.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
So long as your not hunting over them youll be fine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
no live decoys are permitted here in Michigan! Big no-no and an even bigger fine!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
duckbuster808 said:
no live decoys are permitted here in Michigan! Big no-no and an even bigger fine!
Read some more, that would be what they would be considered here, also. But what if ducks are there naturally? Not that you would want to hunt your wife and kids "pets" :smile: .

·
Registered
181 Posts
mashin_da_ducks said:
If i clip their flight feathers it wont hurt them or anything will it?
it won't do anything except keep them from flying.. however if you live near a town or close to neighbors that have ponds they could walk across roads, etc..

in my experience you don't always have to clip the wings.. if you feed the ducks regularly they will usually stay for awhile.. even if wild ducks come by..

however a lady on the edge of town has some ducks with clipped wings and they walk across the highway to get to another pond.. some have been hit by cars :p

·
Registered
185 Posts
I always wanted to try something like this to help make my pond more interesting to ducks but the thing is that my dad has cows on the land too so it is hard to plant stuff but putting a live bird during off season might help attract birds. Clipping their wings won't hurt them, it'll just make them flightless and more prone to coyotes, fox, etc.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just a word of warning.... Before you go about clipping wings on anything, keep this in mind.

Make sure they are not in a molt.
Ask a vet to show you which feathers to cut.
Have some blood clotting powder or a pair of pliers handy.

When any bird is molting, it has what is known as blood feathers. Growing feathers, that if cut, can result in a bird bleeding to death. Usually a cut blood feather can be removed with a pair of pliers or dipped in a clotting powder.

Good luck on the pond and keep us informed.

·
Registered
353 Posts
if all your wanting to do is pull some ducks into your pond ,
in the past we used to just paint a few bleach jugs flat black and tie em to window sash weights and place em out in the middle of a pond. and leave em out year round. but check your regs incase your state has a rule against it.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I would assume the rules for using live decoys is the same everywhere. Not to mention a lame attempt to get birds to use your hunting pond if thats what is happening.

·
Registered
668 Posts
If you're trying to attract ducks to your pond the solution is simple feed em. I've got quite a few ponds, some of which never held birds when I first got them. Place an automatic feeder in the shallow end
and maintain it, you'll have more ducks than you can shake a stick at.
If you want throw a couple of dekes out around the feeder at first.
The pet duck thing won't hold water with the "man" it's considered
live decoys, a federal reg. Obviously feeding the ducks cant be done even close to the season, but right now is a great time to get birds started on new water. You're going to have to do some more work though if you want to hold birds to hunt. I promise you this, feeding after the season will condition birds to check your pond from time to time. Glad to share some other tips if you want, just pm. Yes, this is completely legal! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
hey man i dont know if you've ever had domestic ducks but they are territorial.
they will run any other ducks off and dont want them on their ponds. we used to have bass ponds with ducks and when a new duck was released he took a good week of beatings before they allowed him to stay.
also, this is a predator magnet. minks and weasels love a sleeping duck and will snag them first chance.
ive heard one hen mallard will work, but she wont last long by herself.

if your just trying to gets ducks to land it will work, but domestic ducks wont let them stick around long. throw some corn out there man, theyll come to that if you dont plan on hunting it.

you sure cant shoot over them here! :fingerpt:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts