Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to McNary fee unit on Wed afternoon to take my son for a hunt. I am hoping one onf the handicap blinds are available. We would welcome anyone who wants to come with us. It would help increase teh odds of me saving face with the kid. LOL I have only been out twice this year and both times got skunked. First time out I did not even have a shot, and the last time I found out that my gun barrell is bent. It couldn't be that I missed! LOL

Well, if any of you are up for an afternoon hunt (although I can not say how "serious" this hunt will be with a 6yr old, but it will be fun")

If ya wanna join us we will be at the refuge office at 11:30. Or pm me and I will let you know what car to look for.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welll... we had a great time...but got skunked again... we gat there about noon, and hunted from blind #2 (nice blind). As we were setting up we had two mallards buzz us. That got us excited, but that was about the end of the action for the afternoon. There were a lot of birds flying, but they all seemed to have somewhere else to go. We heard very little shooting all afternoon.

I did get a pass shot ot a line goose, but I missed. Son says he thought I hit it, but I just scared it good.

But, we still had a great time. Hunting with a kid is a lot of fun. He got to build his first snowman of the winter, and we "explored" blinds 1 and 4 since there was no one hunting from them, drank lots of Hot-chocolate, ate lots of snacks, and talked a lot. If any of you guys were out there and we we too loud, and calling too much, I am sorry. My son feels he is an expert duck caller and called every time he could. He even called in a kingfisher....lol.

So, we went duckless, but had a great time. When we were done, I apologized to him for making him sit in the cold for 4 hoursa nd not gettting anything, and he said "that's ok, we don't have to shoot anything to have fun hunting". I hope he can keep that attitude as he grows up.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sorry you got skunked. But I'm glad you were able to take your kid and show him a good time. Every time I go out I remember times when my Dad and I hunted together. We never really did all that good, but I still had good times. After he passed away, the memories of times spent with him are what brought me back to hunting.

It should be getting better down there soon. I'm going out tomorrow and Saturday. I hear that more limits are being had here. I'll let you know what I see. I'm not sure how long it takes birds to get from Wenatchee to the 3-Cities, but shouldn't be too long.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.