Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate doing the following, but you just can't avoid it...
We alll know that when you shoot a duck it doesn't always die immediately, sometimes it's even completely conscious and alert, it may just have a broken wing.
I've only hunted ducks for 2 seasons...what is the most humane way to kill the ducks you've shot?
I know that shooting them again works, but its usually from a close distance and it blows them to pieces or at least "detracts from their natural beauty."
I've tried snapping their neck... it's like trying to snap a hose in half.
I've also tried cutting their necks and bleeding them to death...a slow and very unglamorous death.
I hate doing it...but I want to be as humane and fair to the ducks as I can.

There may be no real humane way to do it...I just want to know how you guys finish your ducks.

What do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
ring there neck. spin it around as fast as you can.there neck should snap no problem.if you have to cut there neck just cut there head clean off. no sense in them suffering. wont be pretty but its alot more humane than just cutting there neck.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I usually like to sink my eye tooth right into there skull duck commander style. :thumbsup:
Also, grab their legs and whap the back of their head on the barrel of your gun will also get er done. :hammering:

·
Registered
304 Posts
When hunting from shore, I place them on a firm surface and put my knee in thier back, right between the wings and put my weight on them, this collapses the lungs and suffocates them in 5-15 seconds, plus doesn't mess them up if you want to mount them. I have trouble in the water, as allot of my hunting I'm waste deep in the water, so then I might whack the head on something solid really good. Or....squeeze them right behind the wings to suffocate them...but it's harder this way then putting your knee into them. Or...ring the neck.

·
Registered
64 Posts
duckboy_390 said:
I usually like to sink my eye tooth right into there skull duck commander style. :thumbsup:
Also, grab their legs and whap the back of their head on the barrel of your gun will also get er done. :hammering:
Yeah- this is the best way. Bite the head with your teeth. Its fast and i mean Duck Commander does it so why shouldn't we.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i use 1 of 2 methods depending on the what i want to do with the duck. if it's an eatin' duck, ring his neck like described in a couple of the previous posts. (grab head, spin body 2 or 3 turns and it pops very easy.) if it's a mounting duck, do like shock said. (grab them at the base of the wings, closest to the head. squeeze along their spine with a firm grip. this cuts off their oxygen. on big ducks this takes up to 1 minute, maybe 2, sometimes. it protects the bird from getting damaged though.) hth!

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
i ring their necks. a couple of good spins and the neck snaps pretty easily. somtimes i'll give 'em good smack up against a tree or stump. if you are going to do that, don't be shy...really wind up and let 'em have it. otherwise you may find yourself having to whack him 3 or 4 times and if you are already feeling sorry for the little critter this may seem abusive.

i have a buddy that bite's them..though effective, all i can say is, "better him than me." :laughing:

·
Registered
286 Posts
I usually just ring there neck but this doesn't always work. I remember this one drake I got this year rang its neck herd it snap and felt the bone snap. So I through him in the bucket about 5 min. later I opened the buck to do something and I got a big shock when Mr. Duck decided to jump out at me. Guess I just didn't sever his spine or something. So just make sure it breaks all the way. I did see this thing in the Max Prairie Wing catalog it was like a pair of pliers you just squeeze and it broke their neck with out breaking the skin sounded pretty cool.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
The gun barrel idea Gunboy spoke of works for me . When I clean my gun at night that includes the blood on the barrel. Now reload and get down.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Take the duck by the head and spin it like you would a larriet. This breaks their neck ending their suffering.

Help when you can and ask when you need it. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :umm:

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.