Duck Hunting Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Hunt with 20+ guys through out the seaosn and not a single ones shoots a Beretta. Benelli', Brownings, Fabarms, Winchester, Rem Versa Max's.......Most say they shoulder like a 2x4......
Glorified with speed load, semi raised rib, rubber on forearm, rubber on stock........exactly why they introduced the Maxus 2 and it gets rave reviews.
All the guns mentioned above are good guns. Including Beretta.
My current duck guns include those made by Remington, Browning, Winchester, and Beretta.
For half a dozen different reasons, I prefer to shoot the Berettas.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Beretta A400 Xtreme Plus or Benelli SBE3.
Dedicated waterfowl gun, need it to perform in cold,nasty conditions.
I have read for hours about each gun,and still can’t come to a decision.
Thoughts and experience?
This tells me it comes down to picking up each of those two guns, seeing how they fit you, how they feel, how they cycle and, if at all possible, shoot them. Make your decision based on that.
You can't really go wrong.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have a Benelli SBE 1,2 and 3 and 3 Beretta xtreem A400 pluses. One in duck blind camo and one in snow camo And one in black.I have owned and shot them all and still own most of them. All of these guns are good and for the most part will get the job done but in my opinion the A400 plus is the cream of the crop. I haven’t shot any of my Benelli since the A400 come home. There is something about them that makes me feel like I can’t miss anything. Just love em.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this same question after I sent in my Maxus three times to get the finish fixed under the class action suit and Browning screwed up my gun so bad I gave it to my brother. The replacement stock looks and feels worse than my kid's $100 Rossi shotgun.

I was concerned about the SBE3 shooting high per the internet, all the gun shops told me not an issue, as did the Benelli rep at Reed's gun fair. My nephew bought the SBE3 sept 22, shot my decoys when he was trying to swat a cripple on the duck opener, seems it shoots high.

I bought the A400. The finish was chipped out of the box. Contacted Beretta, told me it was from wear. I said it came out of the box that was (they no longer sell it in a plastic case, to save the environment, but willing to sell the case for $120) and they said tough ****.

Should have bought a Turkish gun, at least my expectations would have been lower and i would have saved $1000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
just bought the SBE 3 and the new A400 Xtreme plus, both in 20 gauge. Shot both today for the first time. Loved them both. SBE 3 is lighter and slimmer. it’s 6.4 pounds. I was expecting more recoil from it but the 2.3/4 sporting clays loads are light. So need to see how it feels when shooting a 3 inch duck load. The A400 Xtreme Plus 20 gauge was about a half a pound or so heavier and had a thicker forearm. It’s 7.2 lbs. Felt almost like a 12 gauge in size/weight which was a negative. However it was very soft shooting. So, I picked it to shoot a round of sporting clays over the SBE3 because it was so soft shooting and because it is much more familiar feel to me. I have 14 other Beretta shotguns and 2 Benelli’s. I was expecting a POI problem with the SBE3 but I didn’t notice it. Actually my intial impression is I might have shot the SBE3 a tad better than the a400 in the 2 boxes I shot with them. So both are great. I will let you know how they compare in the field during this duck season. By the way, I am certainly not a Benelli fan and in fact am a Benelli skeptic because of my experience owning a Benelli Montefeltro. I have 14 other Beretta shotguns and 2 other Benelli’s and 10 other shotguns, including Remingtons, Winchesters, Stoeger and Mossbergs. My Benelli Montefeltro was plagued with the Benelli click problem. Sent it back twice and the click continued until I upgraded its recoil spring to the Wolf 25% more power spring. Also put a limbsaver recoil pad on it. Now the Monte has no click problem and recoil is reasonable. Last hunt I made with it i made some very long shots and no issues. I have never had any issue with any of the Beretta shotguns I’ve owned. My Beretta 390 Walmart special took a beating for 25 duck seasons before I had to replace the action spring. Never a problem shooting any loads. My 391 Extreme 2 is a machine which makes 3.5 inch shells no problem to shoot. My A400 Xreme Plus 12 gauge is amazing but it is collecting dust because i go back to my 390 and 391. It’s a great gun but its a big gun. I’m 60 now and am gravitating to 20 gauges And not big 3.5 inch chambered guns. I’m shooting tss, Black Cloud 3x9 or Apex 3x8. Tss is a game changer and gives 20 guages the ability to play with the 12s in the field. I’d take a 20 3 inch TSS shot over a 12 guage steel and probably over the bismuth and the regular tungsten. It hots harder, further out and with smaller, and therefore more, pellets. Very expensive, but I am more effective witg it and shoot less shots. I would shoot 15 shots on average to kill 6 ducks with tss. With steel it could be two boxes. With hevi- metal, bismuth and some lighter tungsten, i would easily shoot 10 more shots to get the kills. At $3 a shell with Black Cloud TSS it costs $45, $2 a shell with Apex tss costs $30., or 1.50 Hevi Metal costs $37.5 a hunt. Anyway, back to the A400 xtreme plus and the SBE3 20 gauge, its a toss up. Can’t go wrong with either. Main noticeable difference is heavier weight and larger forearm size and soft recoil of the A400 and the lighter, slimmer and easy to point SBE3. Time will tell which one I pick each day more to shoot. Will be the one I shoot better which is hard to say right now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Good gobbledeegook, all those shotguns and it takes two boxes of steel to kill six ducks. Might oughta consider a reallocation of resources.
I haven‘t shot steel in at least 15 years but thats about my memory of its effectiveness or lack of it. Still remember shooting lead growing up and when we switched to steel it was a big difference. Went to Black Cloud TSS last year and if I’m by myself I may shoot 10, if I’m with someone else I may shoot 15. Havent shot a full 25 round box in a hunt since I quit using steel.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts