Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have it narrowed down to four different 20 gauge shotguns and I want to buy asap so I am looking for some educated opinions on the following models. They can be first hand, something you heard, etc. The models I am looking at are:

Tri-Star TSA Semi Auto Youth Shotgun 27306, 20 Gauge, 26 in VR, 3" Chmbr, Black Matte Barrel, 3 Choke Tubes, Black Synthetic Stoc

Charles Daly Field Hunter Youth Shotgun KBCDGK0105, 20 Gauge, 22", Stock, Matte Blue Finish

Remington Model 1187 Sportsman Autoloading Shotgun 9891, 20 Gauge, 21", 3" Chmbr, Youth, Mod Rem Choke, Synthetic

CZ 720 20ga. Camo Shadow Grass finish. 26" bbls with 5 screw chokes

I understand there are those out there that only believe in Beneli, Browning, etc, but I have priced those and I do not want to spend $800-$1200 on a 20 gauge for my son. So please keep comments to any of the brands/models listed about.

Thanks folks, and I await your responses.

·
Registered
276 Posts
you should get him one of those mossberg 500 bantam 20 ga. mossberg makes a good reliabal gun at an affordable price and it even comes with a coupon for a full size stock for when he grows out of the youth one hope this helps you out a little

coleman

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wouldnt get a semi-auto as a first gun for your son. That said, that leaves the Charles Daley. I don't know much about these guns, so I couldnt give input.

I would start him off with a pump or a double barrel. A Stoeger Y-model sxs wouldnt be a bad idea. Good work guns at an affordable price, around $300-350.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't own any but I do own a CZ 712 which should probably be similar to a 720. I have had it for 2 years now w/o any problems besides the aftermarket choke I put on. If you buy one, you won't regret it. I didn't.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I started my 15 yr. old son when he was 9 yrs old with a Mossberg bantam 500 . He is still shooting it today and loves it! I have another 10 yr. old son that will use this same gun this year for a first shotgun. It has been totally dependable and 100 % safe! I would definately not use a semi auto for a first gun! It is just too dangerous for a young newcomer to a shotgun. My first shotgun was a Savage single shot and I could hold my own with everyone I hunted with. If you do go with a auto, I would only load 1 shell at a time until you can see they are totally in control and safe at all times. Good Luck with your kiddo! :thumbsup: By the way, dont buy a Charles Daly, I did worse gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I started my son on a 20ga. mossberg 500 and we both love it . young hunters tend to fall in ponds or at least dip there gun in a little every hunt. the gun works very well for the price and is very easy to clean. young hunters love to use the pump action also, i offered to buy him an autoloader but he said he doesnt want one. Whatever you buy, always remember kids grow very fast they wont have a youth gun long!

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
You could also look at an 870 Exress 20 ga. youth model. Many times you also get the slug barrel as part of the package.

·
4,554 Posts
I have owned 2 of the guns you posted and both were JUNK. I ended up buying something reliable, a Mossberg 500 20ga.

In the price range you are looking at I would stick to a Mossberg 500, or Nova pump, or even an 870 if you do not get it wet.

I started both my boys out on 12ga just because we hunt a lot of geese and a 20 will work but not the best choice for big geese. I did not want to buy hevi-shot for beginners so kept to the 12 with 2-3/4 loads and never had a problem with recoil.

of your choices I would probably go with the CZ as their products generally get great reviews. I had serious issues with a 12ga 1187 and 2 model 700's and will never own a Remington again due to the poor customer service I received.

the Tristar and CD just did not work right from the beginning or after being factory repaired.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
waterfowlhunter said:
In the price range you are looking at I would stick to a Mossberg 500, or Nova pump, or even an 870 if you do not get it wet.
This is changing the topic a bit but I have to ask because I see this all the time. How does your 870 rust? Mine has been frozen in salt spray, soaked in salt spray, dropped in marsh goop (well I kinda hit a hole), been in rain and snow storms and is kept in a non-climate controlled environment and it hasn't rusted. I clean it if it gets wet and wipe it down with oil otherwise and never see rust.

·
4,554 Posts
:hijacked:
rmh said:
This is changing the topic a bit but I have to ask because I see this all the time. How does your 870 rust?
all the ones I see with Brown (rust) color on the finish were also wiped down and still rusted. Never the blued wingmasters but the cheap rough (parkerized type) finish they use on the express and 1187's seems to rust easily

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
waterfowlhunter said:
:hijacked:
rmh said:
This is changing the topic a bit but I have to ask because I see this all the time. How does your 870 rust?
all the ones I see with Brown (rust) color on the finish were also wiped down and still rusted. Never the blued wingmasters but the cheap rough (parkerized type) finish they use on the express and 1187's seems to rust easily
Ok thanks, I may just be a bit OCD about it, wipe them down every week or ten days whether they've been out to play or not. It's also an older (late 80's) parkerized, maybe the process was a bit different then.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I think you all have me convinced to get him a pump. I saw the Mossberg and a Remington for $250. I think I shall go with one of those, more then likely the Remington and see if I can get a slug barrel with it.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I truly don't understand the idea of not getting him a semi as his first gun. If it's a care/maintenance/safety issue, you set the example. Ifyou're a responsible hunter and teacher there's absolutely no reason to avoid it, and the lesser recoil will help develop proper shooting skills. You were considering the 11-87 youth model, but if it's available to you, my suggestion would be an 1100 youth model. Incredibly soft shooting, reliable, less complicated than the 11-87, etc, etc, a true shooters gun.

I'm really curious to hear the reasons why some of you feel so adamant about a young shooter's first gun not being a semi-auto.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well boys and girls, after much debate with myself I decided I would by my son a Mossberg 500 Super Bantam 20 Gauge. The gun comes with both a shot barrel and a slug barrel. I figure it will be a good gun for him to pop his first deer/duck/pheasant/goose/grouse/etc with. Found a killer deal on it online for only $291.74 plus shipping and FFL transfer. If the local gun shop can get it cheaper I will order from them.

Thanks for the inputs.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.