Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Ive seen them strut several times. I did see a hen "gobble" once. It wasnt a real good one but it sounded somewhat like a gobble. IOne of the cooler things Ive seen a turkey do.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
dam transvestite birds

·
Administrator
77,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
phutch30 said:
Ive seen them strut several times. I did see a hen "gobble" once. It wasnt a real good one but it sounded somewhat like a gobble. IOne of the cooler things Ive seen a turkey do.
When a hen gobbles...it is much higher pitch than a tom. Biologist claim that very old hens past peak breading age loose significant amounts of hormone production...kinda like women going through menopouse. Their feathers darken and they become more aggressive in the springtime...sometimes displaying male breeding traits like gobbling and strutting. Normal hens will strut ...puff up as a show of dominance in the pecking order. I've seen this too...one time when a young hen tried to use an old hen's favorite dust bowl in a sunny spot on a road on a cold spring morning. Rare sight indeed...

So don't let anyone tell you that hens don't strut and gobble.....

·
Registered
177 Posts
Not common, but I've seen 3-4 hens strut in full fan. I've also seen a few hens, maybe two, try to gobble a bit. It sounded like a soft and short gobble.

mudhen

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Never heard one gobble, but i have definitely had them fan out and come into my calling like a tom...As it approached, im like, something aint quite right here...Then i got a good look...HEN?!?!?!?!!? :lol3:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have seen a strut once, at very close range, I couldn't decide if it was a beardless tom or a Rosie O'Donnel hen.
Do hens have spurs?

I would imagine Rosie does

·
Administrator
77,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
stlOU said:
I have seen a strut once, at very close range, I couldn't decide if it was a beardless tom or a Rosie O'Donnel hen.
Do hens have spurs?

I would imagine Rosie does
Very rare for a hen to have spurs...but the NWTF record books do have a few...That's probably one of the rarest traits in wild turkeys...

·
Registered
487 Posts
Never heard hens gobble but saw one strut last week. My buddy has a couple of DSD hen decoys -- they are unbelievable by the way. Every time that we have hunted with them, we have had hens and toms flog and peck them. A tom pecked one on the head so hard that it punched a hole in the decoy head! Anyway, we sat in a pop up blind trying to get one with a bow. 2 hens came up to the decoys and one of the hens started strutting around the decoys and even fanned a couple of times. She was in a fighting mood and pecked at the DSD a while then fanned a while. I hadn't seen a strutting hen before.

·
Administrator
77,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Super Dave 32 said:
Never heard hens gobble but saw one strut last week. My buddy has a couple of DSD hen decoys -- they are unbelievable by the way. Every time that we have hunted with them, we have had hens and toms flog and peck them. A tom pecked one on the head so hard that it punched a hole in the decoy head! Anyway, we sat in a pop up blind trying to get one with a bow. 2 hens came up to the decoys and one of the hens started strutting around the decoys and even fanned a couple of times. She was in a fighting mood and pecked at the DSD a while then fanned a while. I hadn't seen a strutting hen before.
Classic aggressive hen strut!! :thumbsup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.