Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
out of all the bands that you or your buddies have got, what percent was hens?
0%1250.00%
25%520.83%
50%312.50%
75%416.67%

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have yet to get a band and was just curious how often hens have them.

had

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Flawed poll. Reason is some of us only try to shoot drakes, so naturally more banded drakes will be shot.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
My eyes aren't that good to pick a drake Blackie out from a hen nor a Canada gander from a goose. Also hard to distinguish a hen green wing from the drake when they're in flight. Those darn ducks just won't wear lables that I can read. :oops:

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my point isn't to know what percent of hens are banded in the world, just an idea on how often they occure on hens. mainly i just was wandering if anyone shot a banded hen.

had

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Greg Wile said:
My eyes aren't that good to pick a drake Blackie out from a hen nor a Canada gander from a goose. Also hard to distinguish a hen green wing from the drake when they're in flight. Those darn ducks just won't wear lables that I can read. :oops:
Sure they do! Mallard, Blubills, Redheads, Cans, Pintails to name a few you can easily tell a drake from a hen by late Oct. but yes some species are difficult to tell them apart.

YL, why didn't you "sex" that goose? :umm: :laughing:

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
when the F&W Service or state teams launch the capture nets...the ducks are what the ducks are....I an only assume there could be more hens than drakes only because many hunters only shoot drakes....on the other hand, it would all depend on where and WHEN they do the banding.

For example, if they choose a time and location when the drakes are in their own groups for their molt after the nesting....then they will get almost all drakes.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hen killers!!!!! LOL, it happens I personally just try and shoot greenheads, but I won't lie I too have made the mistake of dropping a few hens none of which have been banded. I strongly believe in strictly taking drakes and saving the hens. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
DNR bands whatever they catch in the traps. I knew a guy that used to band birds. They band them and record the data. No matter what the sex is or species of duck. I have harvested both drake and hen bands.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.