Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that when pup is attached to lead (25') he comes with vigor, but when off he will not? For example, when he is in my backyard free-ranging I call him and he comes right over, but when its time to retrieve he wants to play with it and run away. When he retrieves with the lead on him he heels with no delay. In composing this post I think I figured it out--he is "collar-wise." Ok, so how do I prevent it? The book I am following insists this is apart of the conditioning process. Whats your take? One day will he just stop the off the lead antics? (18 wk old male chessy) Perhaps whenever I give a command I should be in a position to enforce it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This is where force fetch and coller conditioning come in but he might be a little young for that. Here are a couple of tips always have a check cord on the dog you have to be able to correct on the retrieves as well. Use a hallway on the retrieves. He can't get away from you there and it teaches him that retrieves are the same as any command he might get. Finally the old going away trick. When the pup picks up the bumper call him and start walking away he will probably follow and come to you. In any event as he comes to you on any of the above give him lots of praise he'll fiqure it out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
one thing to do is to attach an 18" piece of check coard to his collar and just let it hang. He'll get the idea of having a coard there but should start coming with out a physical correction. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My dog does the same thing with a canvas bumper.Without a lead on he will fetch a tennis ball & bring it back immediately,with the canvas bumper he will run around the yard a while with it & then bring it eventually.(19 week lab.)It's frustrating but when he finally does bring it I praise him.Hoping he will in time get the idea to bring it straight back.Of course when I have my 20' lead on him,he brings it right back to me.So don't feel like your all alone.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
mfetter nailed it. Play in fetch in a hallway. If they won't bring it back, always have the checkcord on them. Keep the sessions really short, If the pup brings it back twice then starts playing. Your session is over.

Also, when the pups are this age watch for the teeth, back off retrieving until the teeth grow in as it can be painful for them..

Mike

·
Registered
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Apparently "Heeler" and I have the exact situation, except I don't give him tennis balls. Been doing the going away and hallway trick since he was 8 1/2 wks old. He has been draggin a lead for an equal amount of time. My wife also has assured me that the kids have not been chasing him. With what I have been reading lately it is apparent that most puppies have what is refered to as a chasing instinct. Unsure of the reliability, but it seems possible. An unprovoked catch me if you can game. Yes, Mike, he is getting his adult teeth. I lack the experience you do but I don't think this is the cause. My observation of his behavior tells me that when he is off the lead--he knows it. The way his tail wags at me you would think he knows he's getting in my head. So my solution is when its time to train, its time to be on the lead. Like Heeler I'm hoping that persistance and time will make the idea click in his head one day. I just did'nt want it to be super-structured at such a young age and suck the fun out of it for him. If I have to do that to ultimately get a stud of a retreiver then that is whats going to happen. Thanks for the thoughts guys and if you got any more takes, keep em' comming.

·
Registered
247 Posts
and remember, they wont do it in one setting.
repetition , is the key every day.
when i slack tanner lets me know by messing up, but when he realizes i mean buisness he seems to come around ( knock on wood)
but it gets frustrating.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Hvac- You got the right idea down. Chessies are a creature of habit. Keep him on a check cord when you cannot control him in the yard. If he is still anxios and excited to retrieve, keep playing. Pretty soon he will want to deliver to hand. When he is older force fetching will help the dog not to putz around bringing things back to you. When they are this young just be happy they are retreiving, work on solid obedience as the retriever training is super easy......

Mike

·
Registered
572 Posts
I am no pro here, I am training my first lab. But from what I have read and from what people have told me about this exact subject. When you are throwing a tennis ball or other toy it is fun for the dog because they do have to stay at sit or heel they are just running around having fun. When you throw bumpers you make them stay at heel and break when you release them making it work, when they bring the bumper back to you take it from them and throw a "happy bumper" one that they are not at heel, this will keep it as a game and they will want to bring it right back to you because they might get a fun one.
Your pup might also be a very proud dog, this was my problem, once they get something in their mouth they are very proud of themselves and don't want to give up their "prize". Try throwing a mark and when they are on their way back start running backwards once they get to you stop and run forward for awhile letting the pup keep his prize for awhile that way he doesn't think that everytime he gets that bumper in his mouth you are going to take it from him.
Like I said I am no pro at this but these are some of the ideas that have been thrown out to me for this problem. Hope it works for you. Good Luck

Scott

·
Registered
672 Posts
Your dog will come around. I've never tried training on a leash before, never needed it( consider myself lucky :yes: ) If it get's frustrating don't let it get that way, stop before it get's to that point, the dog know's, and sense's your feeling's. I think of it this way. A 18 week old pup is probaly like a 13 year old kid, the leash is like a parent good when it's around, take the leash offis like being out with other teen ager's away from parent's you can get away with alot more! Just remember to make it fun for you and the dog. My lab drove me nut's with my kid's around he was more interested in playing with them than training. I had to get up at 5:30 in the morning to get a good session in before work. It get's better! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
I must have been lucky as I only needed the leash when teaching my dog to heel and to teach her that when another dog came running in to play that she was to obey me and not run and play with the other dog. As far as fetching I never used the leash except to keep her from bolting as soon as the bumper is thrown, never had a porblem with not bringing it back cause I always quit while she was still having fun and left her wanting more.(retrieving) :thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.