Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use a shorebird confidance decoy?
Yes550.00%
No330.00%
Some Times220.00%

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey i'm looking into a great blue heron decoy to add to my duck spread for confidance does anyone else use them and do they really work?

Thanks Mallyard :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
We use them when the going gets tough. Put it out there for everything to see, it normally doesn't flare them but you can sometimes tell they take a hard look. And that takes the eyeballs off you and your "fake ducks" and can help seal the deal.

My take anyways.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Mallyard,

Our levee borrow pits have mostly been filled with river mud over the 35 years since the 35 mile levee was constructed. I fully agree with our Arkansas friend pullman.

Our old 9 day teal season trips included my 9 homemade BW teal dekes and a grey painted (white plastic) yard bird "Heron" confidence/yard marker decoy. It was a super distance marker, and it always drew real Great Blue Herons like a magnet! They, GBH's, are too alert to stay fooled long. They will test your hide out to the max! :cool:

To be in an expanse of shallow "teal" water with small decoys, the yard bird "sentinel" and mouth calling Blue Winged Teal was a kick! That's what you say to them as they zoom loudly over head,...kick! kick!kick!

The whole picture of decoys, heron, and calling meant a quick limit if the September early morning temperature was in the 50's. If you are near the shallow waters they seek along with a heron confidence decoy,.......... that you'll use because it's a natural! :thumbsup:

Good heron decoying to you,

Poke Boater

·
Registered
296 Posts
Ive been using a gbh decoy for about 3 years now and i dont know if it helps or not. I still shoot as many ducks as without. It does maybe take their eyes off your dekes for a minute. Best of luck with what ever you do. :salude:

·
Registered
15 Posts
I like adding coot decoys. I will throw those out with any of my diver rigs for realism. (plus it pulls in a couple of coots for my buddy to shoot when he gets bored).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts