Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents..........ladies too if it applies. I have been reloading my own steel now for about 8 years and am thinking about dabbling in the reloading of either bismuth or hevishot. Dont have much hands on time with either, and with the relatively high cost even to reload the newer duck AAA, was wondering what you all like better in the field. Most of shooting is 30-50 yards at ducks with an occasional good day of geese moving around. was considering #6 maybe #4 hevi or #4 bismuth loaded out to around a 11/4 payload in the 1300-1350fps range. Would love to have any feedback on shooting this fodder.....both good and bad. Thanks

"If its brown its down!"

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have been doing bismut and love it, but the cost! #4 and #5 worked very well over decoys. #4's worked good pass shooting. BB's were excellent on the geese at all reasonable ranges. I liked the bismut because I could use all my lead components. I got a deal on a bunch of heavi #6, #4 and #2, and I plan to use it this year to see how it works before I think about reloading. From what I can tell I don't see a big savings yet to reload, but that may change. The heavi #4 looks to be a major killer for pass shooting ducks and closer range geese. I just wish I could get it in #5 for waterfowl loads, it's great as a turkey load.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Guy I know bought some hevi shot # 2 when it was legal to buy here in CA and reloaded some "hot shells." I saw his son dropping geese at 80+ yards. I would venture to say that his longest shot was ~120 yards--no ****. And when the hevi shot hits them, they are DEAD. The shells were reloaded at 1550 FPS. At 80 yards in SPLINTERS 3/4" plywood. In Canada, they were shooting geese so high when they hit the ground their guts were popping out thier rears! The stuff is what, 20% heavier than lead? VERY LETHAL!

Jeff Given

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.