Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried it? If it ain't to expensive I might pick up a box tomorrow for giggles and grins. Comes 25 rounds to a box, so if it is around $20 that is the cheapest non steel loads around. Post up if you have tried it and what you thought of it.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Well, Haven't tried it, but by now I though you may have. If you did how did you like it and what load did you try?

I found it on the shelf and Cabela's and did some investigation on the net. Seams it is a mix of steel and scrape tungsten from the Hevi shot production, or something like that. Has a density higher than steel but not as high as bismuth.

Should be better than steel, but I don't think it is a real heavy hitter like the bid $ alternatives, but hay, anything for $20 a box and better than still is worth a look. If it hits just enough harder than steel to drop a shot size and get more pellets I'd be happy!

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Any one tried it yet. I am about to order some.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I had our local small gun shop order some. He's getting BB, 2 and 4's and I'm getting 2 boxes of BB to try on geese and 4's later in the year when I use of some of the steel I got left over for ducks.

Their advertisement said you could drop a shot size get more killing power and more shot. If it does work I will go back to 2's for geese.

·
Registered
115 Posts
archeryrob said:
I had our local small gun shop order some. He's getting BB, 2 and 4's and I'm getting 2 boxes of BB to try on geese and 4's later in the year when I use of some of the steel I got left over for ducks.

Their advertisement said you could drop a shot size get more killing power and more shot. If it does work I will go back to 2's for geese.
I don't think #2 would be the BEST goose load. BB's would be better, but if you shoot them over decoys, #2s should be just fine.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think that I would go with the BB's for the geese this stuffs weight is between steel and bismuth so their is not going to be a major difference between steel and hevisteel but it will have to be better than steel.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Tested the HS #4 this weekend and I was impressed. Definately a contender for best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
I was thinking of going to heavi-shot buy but after today (sat Oct 8th opening day :duck) I began to wonder. I shot two birds at 60 yards and they came down breast first!! Both split wide open to the meat!! I like to BBQ my ducks, and these two I had to take the knife to. So why do I want to watch them drop from 70 - 75 yards up ??? How high do U want to shoot them??...Later Ed

·
Registered
379 Posts
some of the birds I shot within 30-35 yds had the breastmeat perfectly punched through into the breastplate. When they were dressed out there was 0 bloodshot. This stuff is FAST!

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Cupped-n-Committed said:
Any one tried it yet. I am about to order some.
i haven't tried it personally, but i was just out for the opener and my hunting partner was shooting 3" #4's in HeviSteel. I was shooting walmart special winchester Xpert in 3" with 1 1/8 oz #2's at 1550 fps and was shooting birds just as far (if not farther) than he was. I think my farthest shot was a 45-50 yard one-shot-kill on a mallard. (body shot...not a lucky BB head shot)

now, i guess my point is that it is indisputable that hevisteel is ballistically superior to regular steel, but with the availablitity of high speed steel is it really worth the 20 bucks a box? as a comparison, i paid 30 bucks for 4 boxes of my shells to his 20 dollars for one box of his and i was killing birds just as dead as he was.

just my 2 cents.

-Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.