Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been plucking right along with the young Swamp Collie, pup is doing really well.
Last weekend gunfire intro, and stretched pup out to 110yds on some birds.

Was reminded last week of one of many incredible discussions we've had on here while watching pup look downfield..
Remember you were talking about how a dog "thinks" when he looks out into the field.
Have noticed my pup looks to the Left first, and then scans across from there to the right.
But not sure if it's because I generally have marks going in that sequence from the left of the field and then from the right.

Wondering if you'd be so kind to elaborate the next time you're on here on that once again... on how a dog "thinks" when he looks out before there's any influence from marks as he's hardwired from the factory..:)

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
Been plucking right along with the young Swamp Collie, pup is doing really well.
Last weekend gunfire intro, and stretched pup out to 110yds on some birds.

Was reminded last week of one of many incredible discussions we've had on here while watching pup look downfield..
Remember you were talking about how a dog "thinks" when he looks out into the field.
Have noticed my pup looks to the Left first, and then scans across from there to the right.
But not sure if it's because I generally have marks going in that sequence from the left of the field and then from the right.

Wondering if you'd be so kind to elaborate the next time you're on here on that once again... on how a dog "thinks" when he looks out before there's any influence from marks as he's hardwired from the factory..:)
Hey Swamp - who is giving him the marks out there? Thrower, winger, hidden, call before throw or "as shot"? Are you mixing singles and doubles up and switch which side doubles are thrown from? The dog thinking is based on what you're training him to anticipate.

Doing any "follow the gun" while he's sitting at your side yet with you sitting on a bucket?

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hey HNTFSH-
Actually had 2 gunners / bird boys with about 50 yds separation left and right of the field, 110yds from the line.
Mixing up marks from Left to Right and then Right to Left.
1)Duck call
2) Release clipped winged
3) Gunfire at the highest arc of birds flight and then gunner retires.
4) SEND after bird hits the ground.

After 4 from (R) and (L) like that all mixed up did 2 more going opposite direction of what it was previous except this time Hidden, no duck call just gunfire and release bird.
All Singles
No marking off of gun yet.
*Also-
When the gunner hits the duck call am telling pup to mark, I have her HEELED in the general direction.
When she hears it she squares up to it.
Hope I'm not screwing this up 😂

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The dog thinking is based on what you're training him to anticipate.
HNTFSH-
Thought about that, and believe you're exactly right.
Left to Right first.. is how I'm setting up every time we go into the training field, .. could be 2 days from now,... could be more .
Think pup has become aware of it and thanks for noting it and pointing that out 😎

Wasn't complaining about it, but dang glad I said something, it could have been conditioned in!

·
Administrator
43,079 Posts
HNTFSH-
Thought about that, and believe you're exactly right.
Left to Right first.. is how I'm setting up every time we go into the training field, .. could be 2 days from now,... could be more .
Think pup has become aware of it and thanks for noting it and pointing that out 😎

Wasn't complaining about it, but dang glad I said something, it could have been conditioned in!
Well, I always think I'm right Swamp. :unsure: :LOL:

But really...you're right, they condition so much without us knowing. People condition their pets everyday to do bad stuff and have no clue they're doing it.

Headswing at the line on marks doesn't bother me unless excessive. But I also know where the 1st bird is coming from so if I'm pointed that way the proper heel should be too, as long as I'm not blocking view of the 2nd mark. That may cause the dog to scoot up to see it better.

Blinds...that's different. But there "dead bird" means something.

Reactions: swampbilly1980

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I always think I'm right Swamp. :unsure: :LOL:

But really...you're right, they condition so much without us knowing. People condition their pets everyday to do bad stuff and have no clue they're doing it.

Headswing at the line on marks doesn't bother me unless excessive. But I also know where the 1st bird is coming from so if I'm pointed that way the proper heel should be too, as long as I'm not blocking view of the 2nd mark. That may cause the dog to scoot up to see it better.

Blinds...that's different. But there "dead bird" means something.
So this past weekend we finished up gun intro and used up the last of the birds on hand- and that'll be it for a little while with birds as we move on.
Set up to have the very first mark for the weekend coming from the left of the field this time , pup def was anticipating the opposite direction as she looked afield, and recognizes gunner stations.
Did a hidden in the middle.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I've always taught a dog to look in the direction I walk to line and sit the dog. I don't like head swingers. If you have a triple in the field, a dog will invariably select: Outside, outside, middle. If I got a head swinger ( and there are a lot of them and all man made) I'd put maybe four gunners in the field or 4 electronic traps with white jackets on T posts. I'd walk the dog straight to line facing ONE of the gunners, I didn't care which. I'd sit the dog. As soon as he looked away from the gun he was facing, I'd have the gunner throw the bird or I'd pop a trap. Then I'd send him for the single. With a head swinger, I'd never run multiples as multiples. They were all run as singles. I never wanted the dog to look away from a gunner unless I moved slightly (heeling drill) to signify I wanted the dog to move.

Some of them can be a HUGE problem to break and a bad head swinger will cost you a trial. I'm with Hugh. If you come up to line and the dog automatically looks one direction, YOU have taught him that. I have never had a dog (that I've noticed) automatically look in one direction unless taught to do so. Stop it Swamp. :D

·
Registered
9,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always taught a dog to look in the direction I walk to line and sit the dog. I don't like head swingers. If you have a triple in the field, a dog will invariably select: Outside, outside, middle. If I got a head swinger ( and there are a lot of them and all man made) I'd put maybe four gunners in the field or 4 electronic traps with white jackets on T posts. I'd walk the dog straight to line facing ONE of the gunners, I didn't care which. I'd sit the dog. As soon as he looked away from the gun he was facing, I'd have the gunner throw the bird or I'd pop a trap. Then I'd send him for the single. With a head swinger, I'd never run multiples as multiples. They were all run as singles. I never wanted the dog to look away from a gunner unless I moved slightly (heeling drill) to signify I wanted the dog to move.

Some of them can be a HUGE problem to break and a bad head swinger will cost you a trial. I'm with Hugh. If you come up to line and the dog automatically looks one direction, YOU have taught him that. I have never had a dog (that I've noticed) automatically look in one direction unless taught to do so. Stop it Swamp. :D
Hey Gone'!-
Yes sir, am pumping the brakes on it, am going be sure to change it up and not repeat marks from the same direction at the very start of training each day as the previous day, am going to fix it, pups not head swinging too badly, am going to fix it.
"Outside, Outside, In"...thanks for that , I liked that nugget of information when you mentioned it several years ago, it's what I remembered you had mentioned that day.:cool:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts