Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I am new at this so sorry if I make any mistakes. :oops: But I was wondering if any one could offer any advice as how to start duck hunting? I have never been, I don't know any duck hunters, and all I know is that I cannot wait to give it a try this year. :D Any advice would be great, what books to read, how to get lots of birds anything. Thanks

G

·
do like we all did, just jump in there.

really, i guess most of us were raised in a hunting family who loved to duck hunt among other things. if you really do not know anyone who duck hunts you will have to wing it.

first scout out a place to hunt. be sure to talk to the owner first if it's private property. if you are not familier with your area your first call should be to your local game officials. they can be very helpful in suggesting locations as well as helping you get started. be sure to follow your local game laws, the wardens will also assist you with this (one way or the other).
there are a few things you will need to get started:
you will have to pick up a new shotgun. while your at it, you might as well pickup a few dozen decoys, weights and string, a nice camo coat and bibs, some hip boots and waders, duck calls, lanyard, and practice cassette, case of shells, mojo duck, boat, motor and trailer, duck dog, blind and/or blind making material, camo hat, face mask, and gloves, a good alarm clock, 4-wheel drive pick up, and an understanding wife/girlfriend (optional). in about 5-10 years you should have most of this
stuff, then you can start buying new stuff all over again.

welcome to duck hunting..................

·
Registered
27 Posts
i'll tell u this duck hunting is the best thing u can get into i promise. you dont have to go out and buy a new gun i use a remington 870 3inch 12 ga and it does just fine. you will really need need to go buy some decoys, and a good pair of waders and some worm cloths, u will allso have to buy a duck call-goose call i pefer a redlegged mallard is a very easy call to use and it works great and for a goose call get a flute they work really well. and of coarse u need a blind but u wont need a boat ur first ur yr of hunting that will come down the road once u get use to it. u will need to get some shells u might want to look up in the regulations because in some states u have to use steel shot and if so get BB. you will also need a thermos of coffee. alot of it has to do with where u r gonna be hunting so if u have ne more questions get back with me and i will try to help u out. good luck

G

·
I forgot to mention the Ducks Unlimited decal for your new trucks rear window. This is mandatory for all duck hunters

·
Registered
21 Posts
To find a nice place to go hunting go to a small hunting shop and talk with someone that works there. We have gotten so many tips and hunting places from this one guy. He is always really nice, but that might be because we are always buying somthing from him when we go in.

G

·
If you don't know anyone that hunts and have never been, the best thing to do is hire a guide. You would probably learn more in 1 day than you would believe!!

G

·
Thanks for all the great advice, I think the bottom line is just to jump in and give it a try. Being a student I cannot even think about hiring a guide so I will teach myself. So I have been scouting for ducks and now have a few questions, does it matter what camo pattern I use? and When is the best time to go scout for ducks? Early morning late evening, noon?

·
Registered
27 Posts
i wouldnt go hire a guide either. just jump in it and give it a try. if u are hunting a feild u will want to get some camo that will match the field but if ur hunting out of a blind it dont really matter what camo u use. if iwas u i would og scout ducks around 10ish to see if there are ne thing on the lakes or the pond. some more advice if u find a good pond with alot of ducks on it get permission from the owner and go jump the pond u just walk up behind the pond dam and start shootin. good luck

G

·
RED LEGGS YOU KNOW ALL THE TRICKS. DON'T GET THIS BOY IN TROUBLE ON HIS FIRST HUNT.

HEY PILGRIM, DON'T START ANOTHER CAMO WAR. EVERYONE HAS HIS FAVORITE. LEGGS IS RIGHT. IF YOUR WITHOUT A BLIND DO THE BEST YOU CAN TO BLEND IN AROUND WHATEVER YOUR SITTING NEXT TO.

BEST TIME TO SCOUT FOR DUCKS WOULD BE EARLY AND LATE IN THE DAY. IF YOU SEE ANY OF EM, TRY TO FIGURE OUT WHERE THEY LANDING OR FEEDING, THATS WHAR YOU WANT TO BE. ANOTHER CHOICE IS TO GET BETWEEN THEM AND WHAR THEY WANT TO GO AND AMBUSH EM.
AFTER A FEW TRY'S AND A FEW ERRORS YOU WILL GET THE HANG OF IT.

GOOD LUCK...............

G

·
You also might want to try primos duck calls there great. You should be able to get em at wal-mart. 1 to 2 dozen decoys should be great to start with mabey buy a dozen for the start of the season and another dozen twords the middle and end.. a 12 gauge shot gun with 3in 1's 2's or 4's should work great... Make sure it's steel... as far as finding a place to hunt look into mabey a wetlands ar public ponds they can be crowded at times but it's worth some times also... I hunt the wetlands here in kansas all most every hunt. Make sure you learn how to use your call properly thats a main factor also.. it's not all that hard to learn to call. And set your decoys in a V or 2 bunches with a landing space in the middle. And i'm not going to start a camo WAR ... But if your hunting marshes try like an shadow grass or an atvantage wetlands......

Good Luck and Have a Ni.... here they come..... get down.......... ok TAKE `EM...... BOOM De BOOOOM BOOM.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Are those guys on crack?? $200 a day. without lodging too. I would rather quit hunting all together than day that. I cant believe there are suckers out there to pay this absurd amount. If you need a "canned" hunt, you should quit hunting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
lead head, he wont get into trouble unless he is a moron and gets caught. and who ever that was talking about primos calls get real. haydal is the way to go. the redlegged mallard or the dr85 of the new hot item the TC02.

G

·
You don't mention if your new to hunting altogether, or just to ducks...

If you've hunted before, the basic principles are the same. As with other types of hunting, preperatin is the key. Talk to all of the people mentioned in previous replies and then scout the areas they suggest yourself.

Before you go scouting, though, read up as much as you can on the species you're likely to encoutner in your area. Not much use scouting a really great looking area that doesn't look so good to the ducks.

Did I say a lot of things are the same? :wink: Most of us are not used to shooting at small deceptively fast targets, so get some clay pigeons and get used to it before the season starts. Pattern you gun with different chokes at different distances to decide on the best choke and shot for you and the are you're planning to hunt.

There's a lot of great accessories gadgets and other neat stuff on the market. One of the previous replies listed just about all of it.

I'd suggest you limit your shoppoing to the basics. I've been hunting ducks for 12 years (hunting for 22) and I still don't own a bird call, but by being where the ducks are going to be I still bring home enough ducks to keep my wife fuming :)

Rubber boots and a face mask, other than the 12 guage I assume you already have, are all you really need.

Nothing wrong with duck calls and decoys, but setting your decoys wrong or sounding a perfect alarm call when you wanted a feeding call will do more to return a dismal result than not having these items till you've had a couple of years experience watching and listening to ducks (and other hunters) in the field.

Good luck.

Maybe you could post how you did after a few tries?

G

·
OUCH........................200.00 A DAY PLUS ANOTHER 25.00 FOR THE GUIDE AND QUIT SHOOTING AT NOON OR WHEN GUIDE SAYS STOP.

GOOD LUCK................SOUNDS LIKE A PLACE FOR LA. DAN.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts