Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Well, to see if there are ducks, you need to go out there and look for yourself. Go sit out there and watch and see if some come in there. As for getting ducks there, there's no way to do that. They have to want to be there. Just my opinion. :salude:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quak addict said:
Hey

i got permission to hunt this swamp but dont know if there are any ducks in there? How can i find out ?
Get back into it before Daylight and set and watch for birds to come in or leave! Late in the Afternoon, get back in and set and watch for birds to return to roost in it!

Quak addict said:
if there isnt none how do i get them in there?
FEED!

If you have a swamp that is Secluded, Chances are, there already is Birds using it. You just have to set from a Hiding spot and watch to see were they are dumping into or leaving from!

If you need to plant, get some Millet, Milo,Smart Weed, Duck Potatoe and find a place were you can gather Duck Weed to transplant to the swamp.

Chances are, the Ducks are already there, Alittle Planting will help to KEEP them there! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
380 Posts
quackkiller said:
As for getting ducks there, there's no way to do that.
Why do you feel that way?

If the State or Feds create a New Wetlands, How do they get the Ducks to Want to go to it, seeing you feel there is no way to do it?

·
Registered
598 Posts
I guess I said that wrong. You're right. By planting crops it will attract ducks. I just meant if there weren't any ducks at the swamp then mabye they don't have a reason to be there. But if you did plant some feed crops there and they found it, I'm sure that ducks would want to go there. I kind of typed that post in a hurry because I had to leave. I wasn't trying to say that I don't think there is any way to attract ducks, because there is. You just have to make it so that they want to go there.
Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Quak addict, my best advice to you is to go scout that swamp. Just like Woodywoodduck said, go in the morning and the evening. I hope that swamp turns out to be a good spot for you. :salude:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Snafu518 said:
Plant a few ducks....
Snafu,

That really isn't a Joke, you bring something up that COULD be done to "Plant Ducks" BUT, And I Say BUT Again, it would be Illegal to hunt off of for atleast a year!

It is called implementing.

I've heard about this done in some states were the Baiting Laws are not as Strict as here in PA.

You build a Structure that can be moved. You then place it were there are Ducks in an area. You Bait it and Continue to Bait it till they use it on a Regularly Basis.

After they get used to the Sight of this Structure, you Start moving it, till you move the Ducks to were you want them. Once they are to the area you want them, you DO NOT Bait it any longer!

I've read were guys have taken a Fiberglass Bath tub, filled it with cement and stuck a Pine Tree in it and placed it on a river or stream, they bait it and bait it and let the ducks get used to this Tree.
They then move this till they get the ducks to were they want them.

EVERYONE would have to do alittle reading on their Baiting Laws of their State, to be sure they could do this in the off season!

Also, this Structure, Would need to be REMOVED once the Ducks are moved to the area you want them, so as to not be using the Baited Structure as an Attractent!

Also, have you ever seen what a tame Duck can do to an area?

"Plant" A tame duck for awhile in the off season, after doing the plant planting and the Wild Ducks start to come in, remove the tame duck and let the Wild Ducks have the area.

I've never done this, have only read about it.

You Joke about the "planting of Ducks" Not really a Joke, it's been done in other places from things I have read....

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quak addict said:
What should i plant there?

do i plant it on top of the water?
If you know what Duck Weed is, you could Skim it from one area and move it to water in the Swamp you want to hunt, Duck Weed floats ontop of the water. Duck Potatoe floats ontop of the water also.

Millet, Milo, Smart Weed, Needs planted in dirt. Can be planted in I beleive up to about 1-2 inchs of water. Just ruff up the Dirt, throw the seeds down and Stomp them in with your boots.

You can plant Millet, milo, smart weed along the shore line, in the water alittle in Grass Clumps out in the Swamp.

There are other plants and seeds out there, you just have to find a place to buy them!

Wild Rice will grow just about anywere and also is a VERY GOOD Seed to plant. Just have to find a place to buy it or Swap with someone! I have priced Wild Rice, thru a Friend that has a Feed Store. The cheapest he has found it for me is $300.00 for 50 pounds.
Information he got was that it has to be kept wet if you want to plant it!
Alittle Pricey for me!

Chufa (Sp) is suppose to be good to Attract Ducks also.

Sunflowers would work, if there is an area that is getting good sun light!

There is a Floating Plant that Ducks love to eat, Can't remember the name of it, but people use it in their Garden Ponds. Looks something like Duck Potatoe.

Do you happen to get Wildfowl Mag?

If you do, in it, in the Classifieds, there are alot of Suppliers for Seeds that will attract ducks and other Wild Huntable Critters!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.