Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have hi viz sights "installed" on their shotgun? If so, how do you like it? Does it make a difference? They're not very expensive and was wondering if it's something that's worth getting? Thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
While I might be an exception because I'm such a BAD shot, I don't like the high-vis sites. Whenever a site becomes too prominent on the end of my barrel I catch myself 'aiming' versus just 'feeling' the shot. On occasion I hunt with a Mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel and iron sites (turkey gun). I shoot worse with this gun that I do ANY other and I know it is because of that site. As long as I can see and feel the end of my barrel, I can shoot.

Just my opinion...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Another ditto for the comments above. If your shotgun fits and hits where you point it, you don't need a bead at all. The HiViz is great if you are a turkey hunter, but not for wingshooting IMHO.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put one on all my guns. Really helps me work on my lead and gives a great reference point to how far out in front I am when I pull the trigger. I have the one that has several different color inserts. When your eye gets used to one color I switch colors. I find it helps the most in lower light sitiuations which are usally closer shots. Seems like a lazer dot is being projected at that duck. They are inexpensive and worth a try. If you don't like it you only out $10-$15 bucks. By them on Ebay and save a ton more even with shipping. I like the one that sticks on your rib with a magnet.

Good luck!
jduck1

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've got a tru-glo on mine that has the interchangeable colors and I really like it. After a few hunts I usually switch to a different color and I feel that since getting the site, I have become better at lining up the shot and hitting the target, especially in low light conditions. I'd give it a try. It works for some but not for others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put one on all my guns. Really helps me work on my lead and gives a great reference point to how far out in front I am when I pull the trigger. I have the one that has several different color inserts. When your eye gets used to one color I switch colors. I find it helps the most in lower light sitiuations which are usally closer shots. Seems like a lazer dot is being projected at that duck. They are inexpensive and worth a try. If you don't like it you only out $10-$15 bucks. By them on Ebay and save a ton more even with shipping. I like the one that sticks on your rib with a magnet.

Good luck!
jduck1

·
Registered
233 Posts
I asked the same question to a shooter on the olympic team. I said that if you are looking at the sight then you are going to miss. He said---look kid try it, if it doesnt work you are out 10 dollars. I have one on all my guns and hate shooting with out it. In comparison to the money spent on other things for duck hunting I will gladly fork out the ten dollars for the chance to hit more ducks. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Bud said:
Another ditto for the comments above. If your shotgun fits and hits where you point it, you don't need a bead at all. The HiViz is great if you are a turkey hunter, but not for wingshooting IMHO.
THANK YOU.

You do not need Hi Viz sites unless you are killing birds that are sitting still and not flying.

When I first began wingshooting, black electric tape was placed in the bead of my gun.

Head on the stock, eye on the bird and nothing else.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.