Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some ideas on ways to hide in harvested soybean fields. The only way we have found is wait till there is snow on the ground and use white sheets. If anyone has any good ideas let me know

·
Registered
629 Posts
i have a avery finisher blind which will give u the cover that u need to hunt any type of feilds. The blind has straps that u can put whatever is on the ground on your blind to make it disapper into the field and they also have a snow cover for it so u can have it strait white and stay warm and dry :oops: .

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Yup, get a layout field blind like Final Approach. "Mud it" well and it'll blend in pretty good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My buddy and I made our own goose chair blinds for abot $15. We have a couple of small bed sheets that were put in the washing machine with Ritt die (grey). With a little flat black paint and some brown paint streeks on it to cover your legs. Or go buy a pair of cheep painters bibs and do the same. It's good eneough to get their legs a droppin in on us. good luck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
how about you where camo and instead of cheap painters pants and instead of wasting your time go buy a ground blind there more comfortable, better cover with stuble straps, and waterproof.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well price could be a problem, most good ground blinds go for over 2 bills. Exclude the Power Hunter whis is to small for big guys. As far as camo goes i have never seen a bean stubble pattern, corn stuble , oat stubble yes but it is too light. There needs to be a cammo pattern named "Dirt or Earth " that is where Rit die comes in. It is also nice to hunt in something you made all by you self that works. Something a big company hasnt or couldnt do for what ever reason. Your choice spend $200 or more or make your own for less than $40 that will work just fine.

·
Registered
629 Posts
well they have corn field and wheat stubble patterns that you can get at cabelas that will work in those field that you are hunting and yea i spent 250 for my ground blind and it works and is very helpful to hunt spots that have very little cover.

·
Registered
7 Posts
coyote1 said:
Well price could be a problem, most good ground blinds go for over 2 bills. Exclude the Power Hunter whis is to small for big guys. As far as camo goes i have never seen a bean stubble pattern, corn stuble , oat stubble yes but it is too light. There needs to be a cammo pattern named "Dirt or Earth " that is where Rit die comes in. It is also nice to hunt in something you made all by you self that works. Something a big company hasnt or couldnt do for what ever reason. Your choice spend $200 or more or make your own for less than $40 that will work just fine.
I missed spoked they DO make corn and oat stuble, sorry. But i believe you stick out like a sore thumb in a cut bean field ,been there done that, compaired to the cammo we have made by hand, there is none. if you got a $250 layout blind it dosent matter what you where.

·
Registered
961 Posts
you can always do the old thing of just wareing clothing that for the most part matches the grond/earth color and then just set a mag. dek on you cured but before i got my blind it worked fine if you have enough dekes

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are handy try this it costs barly nothin but some time and energy. For each hunter get a peice of dull material big enough to cover up your entire body with tans and light brown work great. Get in you truck and take along some 5 gal buckets and a rake stop by walmart a buy some construction type adhesive the kind that dispenses from a caulking gun works great then head out to a bean feild thats being harvested and ask the farmer if you can pick up the chafings that come out the back of the combine(where they turn around at the end of the feild theres usually 3 or 4 inch deep piles) get back home and lay your material out on the driveway or whatever and run a bead or two of adhesive in parallel line smooth them out a little and throw some handfuls of bean stalk on there and press into place. repeat until its all covered let dry then gently roll up and take it hunting place a rubber type ground sheet on the ground lay down an cover up. Its quite a bit of work but if you do a good job you will dissapear into that feild!!

·
Registered
598 Posts
That's gonna be kinna tricky to cover up in cut bean field, but it can be done. I've done it with my finisher. I put it on the lowest position and I rubbed mud all over it to make it blend in with the ground, and then took what bean stalks I could get and put them in the stubble straps. It took some thought and a little work but the results made it all worthwhile.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use a finisher and try to use terraces to my advantage by trying to put them at the lowest point and use bean stubble in the straps.

·
Registered
327 Posts
your best bet for soybean fields would be the avery finisher in max4 its nice and dark and will blend into the ground better.....but there still reamins the problem of concieling them in a bean field because most farmers are using schaff spreaders and are cutting the stubble a lil over 2 inches which gives u next to no cover......pm me if some one has found a way.

·
Registered
56 Posts
What we do is take a lawn rake in the field with you and rake up all of the excess stubble left behind( not close to you spot of course) and put in on you finisher blind. I have never had any problem with finishing geese in soy fields this was way. No need for cammo pattern either, go with khaki because you mud up your blind and you cannot see the pattern anyway. Just money spent that was not needed. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Wow, this threat is over 2 years old! :eek:

Sinces back up though.... Over 2 bills for a layout is worth every penny. But you can get a good quality blind for 150 if you look around. The layouts provide insulation, wind protection, and excellet concealment. You can move around and not be seen. You can call at will. And they are comfortable as all heck, I've fallen asleep in mine many-a-time. i used to take the cheap approach and cover up with camoed blankest. I found some cheap miltary surplus blankes and spray painted them with different brown paints on one side, and white on the other for snow. It worked fine, but nothing to compare with the layout

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
:withstupid: Like Boom said the layout blinds are worth every penny! I found that Rogers Sporting Goods in MO has the best prices on the layout blinds and the shipping is 10 dollars. That beats alot of places on shipping. I paid 150 for a Avery Finisher Blind Brand new in Khaki from there. They also have great deals on dekes if your ever in the market for dekes!!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts