Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on covering up on a sand bar. I hunt on the missouri river and when I hunt geese I hunt them on the sand bar that way I dont have to wear waders to wade out (in back pools not the main current) to get them. These sand bars are very bare. There is absolutly nothing on them, and its all flat. So if anyone has any ideas on how I could hide that would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Try some Burlap. Thats what we use out here on the columbia. and In some of our fields. Pretty sandy out here.

Even try a guillie suit if you have the dough for it.

C Dubb

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
C beat me to it but burlap is the way to go .

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
good ones. my hunting partner and i have been wondering the same thing. at low tide the ducks all stand around on the exposed sand and mud flats..no way to get near them or even set up and hide from them.

burlap...good idea. now i just need to come up with something to lay on so the mud and water doesn't seep in through my clothing. maybe an OD green tarp.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
The problem with digging a coffin type of blind is that if the sand is dry on top--when you dig it is wet and a darker color and thus fairly obvious from a distance. Otherwise pre dig them to get your body below the top of the sand as often geese come in flying low and it is the profile that alerts then if lying on top-similar to hunting a barren field. Then set silos or FBs around you to help break up yourself even more. A khaki color is good as mentioned above. But do not go below the water line for 2 reasons, a wet butt and and the sink box Fed law.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
Swamp Puppy, Don't laugh, this works, I use those bi-fold lawn chairs, that lay flat, the ones with the short legs. I use them on the flat shoals, and along shorelines that don't have much in the way cover, laid out flat, your just inches off the water, or wet shorelines. I pick them up in garage sales; I won't pay more than 50 cents for them. The most expensive is the burlap, come on, I said don't laugh it works.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
Swampy, you could try one of those self inflating mattreses for camping.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Greg Wile said:
Swampy, you could try one of those self inflating mattreses for camping.
But I'm afriad of what kind of self inflating object SP would buy... :laughing:

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Try using "Desert Storm" camo. You can buy it at a Army/Navy supply store, not too expensive. I'd wear head gear in the same camo, and wear some nice earth tone face paint as well. I like the idea of using layout blinds and lawn chairs as well. My only other suggestion would be to cover youself in honey, and roll around in the sand until completely covered in the natural sand that is where you're hunting! :laughing: Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.