Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am interested in the thoughts of others here....anybody else realize that their old beat up jackets and vests and stuff that was passed down is just as warm and dry as a $300.00 Duck Commander or similar jacket system.

I bought a DC wading jacket about a month ago from Bass Pro in grapevine because the thing was comfy as hell and I have heard alot of nice things about them.

The jacket is great but I was just as warm and dry in my other gear that cost a fraction of the Duck Commander jacket.

I think I have fallen victim to marketing...... :pissed:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have been an avid waterfowler for many years and i dont think nothing is wrong with buying new gear.

I mean the Bass Pro shops isnt the cheapest place to buy gear of any kind, but you also know you are getting what you pay for to.

so its good to keep the hand me downs or old gear but maybe tring to find a little cheaper at different stores and surplus stores......... or WAL-MART

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
buying new gear is part of the fun of duck hunting. but dont know if i could fork out 300.00 though. those columbia parkas are sweet though and spendy too. i think i spent about 150.00 for my new parka. its a nice one though.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got a columbia 4 n 1 silent hunter in old break up for Christmas the year before last. It's been put through the abuse test and passed with flying colors. Waterproof, warm as heck. Half the time I don't even need the outer layer. I just wear it if it's raining. It hasn't faded either like a lot of my older jackets have. It's a bit pricy. Around $200 I think. But well worth it. Just my opinion

·
1,459 Posts
I have a Gamehide 4 in 1 and its a big improvement when the weather is very cold,otherwise I just use the inner jacket.Bought the matching bib pants too.It isn't always needed to have the "good" stuff but it comes in handy from time to time.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Started my son hunting this season, so I got to purchase all new gear. I swear its been Christman since October. But the jacket I really had trouble picking one. I got the Hearter's 4 in 1 and really didn't like the it. I searched all over for other jackets and finally ended up with the Browning Duck Commander. I know I paid a heavy price but I couldn't be happier. The nastier the weather the better. I don't go in until shoot time is over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
i found my coat at galyans in arlington...browning marsh gold, 3 ply gore tex shell. it did not have the lining in it, and i paid about 150.00 for it. saw the same one online at cabelas for 260.00...i love it. no wind, no rain, and breathes really well. you know how those tx hunts are...get to your spot at 4 am and it's 35 degrees and by 10 am it's 75 degress! nothing wrong with your purchase.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I got my wader jacket a couple of years ago out of the cabelas catalogue after the season was over,it's got thinsulate,goretex.large hood that'll cover even with a cap & only paid $129.00.Check out the catalogues after the season,you can really get some pretty good deals.You buy brand named goods & you pay brand named prices.Just a thought!

·
Registered
941 Posts
There is nuthin' worse than cheap gear in the long run you are better off by spendin' the $$$ on some quality gear that will stand the test of time & the wear & tear of the elements. :yes:

When I was a teenageager I had an old Army surplus field jacket with a button in liner & a pair of them rubber/canvas waders. If the wind was howlin' or it was rainin' you were a cold, wet & miserable ****. :eek:

Thank goodness I learned that lesson the hard way I now have quality stuff... a Gamehide 4-1 coat & some of 'em bad **** waders with 1200 grams of thinsulate in the boots... I'm about a toasty ****... kinda like snugglin' with Anna Nichole Smith. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
383 Posts
You'll appreciate it when 30 years down the road you're still wearing it and you're dry, warm and comfy. And your buddy next to you is shivering in his cheapo jacket. :mrgreen:

This is all assuming we will be able to legally hunt 30 years from now. :thumbsdown:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.