Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another novice?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted a thread before on hip displaysa. I really dont have the $$$ to get them xrayed right now. She is still limping, but only favors her right side. There is no problem if she is laying around the house, but when we go to the river or just play she comes in and limps favoring only the right side. Is this still possibly hip diplaysa? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i think my dog has hip dysplasia also. havent had him x-rayed yet either. the vet said excersize will make them sore when they have hip dyplasia. my dog is fine tell he gets a good workout. then just whines a little when he gets up. i thought hip dyplasia was in both hips, not just one. might talk to your vet she might just have a pulled muscle or something.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
my dad's dog has bad hips but has such a hunting drive in him we don't dare leave him at home. at the end of the day the dog is usually hurtin' pretty bad. We give him an advil or celebrex and that helps loosen him up a bit.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
hip displaysia can be in one or both hips. there is a tremendous amount of information about this on the web.

i know how finances can get tough sometimes but if that is the only reason why you're not getting the dog checked/treated you need to check on your options. most vet's offices will take several different forms of payment. split payment, post-dated payments, "basic" financing over multiple payments, etc. i have yet to see a vet office that didn't offer these services when asked. i would seriously consider changing practices if the office did refuse payment options because they obviously aren't concerned with the greater good of your pet.

if you feel it's just "too much money to spend on a dog", maybe you should re-evaluate your priorities to help you better determine if you are suitable to be a dog owner. (no flame intended there.) $200 is not a lot to properly diagnose a problem and work on fixing it. Good luck...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Got x-rays done today. Both bad and good news. First good news, hip diplaysa is in very early stages. I orginally thought it was full blown. Second is bad news, she needs $1599 in surgery. Her cruciate ligament and medial meniscus is starting to tear. Surgery is the only remedy. After the surgery doc thought she would still be 99%. Thanks for all the imput.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I cant get rid of her. Ive got a 2 1/2 year old that would be lost(along with her daddy). Just save some$$$$. Also thought on making her a house dog and then buying another puppy, but its hard to retire a 3year old dog. :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
likes,

did you check on arrangements of some type? maybe they have some way they can work things out with you. also, have you ever checked on k-9 health insurance? it maybe worth it in your case if they don't consider this a preexisting condition. anyway...good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a price of $858 from one clinic here in town, but she said after this surgery the dog should not be hunted because the possibility of it happening again is too high. Anyone else know that? That was the only one that said not to hunt here anymore. Also waitng to hear back from a lady at U of I. thanks for your help.....Just heard from Kari Bubb from Uof I. One surgery is $1100-1900 the other(the one she recomends) is $2200-2900. Plus she also thought about not hunting her for atlest the next season and possible forever :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
899 Posts
Quick tip for those of you that think your dog may have bad hips. Watch the dog run from behind. If the dog bunny hops with the rear legs - that is to say that both legs are hitting the ground at the same time when they run, that is a sigs of bad hips. 2-300 for x-rays is about the going rate for a full set. The majority of that money goes for anesthesia (sp). They have to knock the dog out to be able to rotate the hips properly for the right angle. Everybody has to decide for themselves what their dog is worth to them.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.