Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what is the best way to connect this to the boat. i have a jon boat. thanks for the help in the past. this web site is great

·
Registered
30 Posts
My brother connected slightly larger pieces of conduit, maybe 4" pieces to a rib or rail in the boat. These were "permanently" mounted in a very solid way, also as low profile as possible. The blind itself with long (4' ) pieces of conduit slid into these mounted posts. His was a littel cumbersome as eash piece only fit one spot. Great when it's light out, but tough at 5:30 am when it's getting light and the pieces don't seem to fit anywhere. However you do it...design it for rainy, cold, early mornings.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Think of fishing rods and rod holders in how they drop in. Some will flatten a 3/4" piece of conduit about 6" with another 6" or so sticking up and round and then use 2 bolts thru flat and the boat side to hold each boat frame "socket" that the frame slides into. My concern is it would be too loose of a fit and wobble.

I have seen a prefabricated metal piece that is similar to an oar lock and is a socket and has 3 bolt/rivet holes and there is a thumb screw to tighten up so no wobble on the upright pole. Sorry but I do not know who makes them. I suggest doing a google search on boat blinds of similar and maybe somebody has them for sale somewhere. Believe me--it is better to buy than make your own because of the trial and error, and time factor involved.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I second the use of bimini top hardware for scissor-style blinds. I found a site years ago when I built a scissor blind for my last boat that sells plastic ones very cheap. I didn't think the plastic would hold up and bought a lot of extras. Boy was I wrong. In 3 seasons I never broke a single piece and I'm rough on equipment.

Shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] if you would like the website link. That goes for anyone else also. I don't want to spam it on here. I think I also have quite a few pieces sitting around the house I could send you for free if you want them. I'll try to get a picture of them tomorrow if you want them. I also have a few tips for you that you should know before you order the pieces you need, i.e. certain size hardware for certain sized EMT because the measurements they give don't match up correctly.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Rowdy wrote: "if you need more help i can walk you through a full scisor style boat blind made out of emt conduit"
I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing your design. I'm thinking about a removable scissor/folding or simple/removable blind for a 16' bass boat. I want to limit any permanent changes to the boat as it will be used for fishing and might get sold.

·
Registered
2,752 Posts
You fellows must be using EMT or electrical metalic (thinwall) tubing. If this is the case it is easy to make a bracket with heavy sheet metal and bend it so it fitts over the gunnel of your boat even use a peice of cam-truss channel that will go over the gunnel, drill it and the EMT and bolt it together. makes it easy to install and remove. Thats the "KISS" System, keep it simple stupid. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
211 Posts
michiganduckhunter said:
Rowdy wrote: "if you need more help i can walk you through a full scisor style boat blind made out of emt conduit"
I'd be interested in hearing about/seeing your design. I'm thinking about a removable scissor/folding or simple/removable blind for a 16' bass boat. I want to limit any permanent changes to the boat as it will be used for fishing and might get sold.
e-mail sent

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.