Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a Remington 870 in camo. My question is will Hoppe No. 9 ruin the camo finish? I have been using Hoppe No. 9 for years and really don't want to change to a different cleaner. Any opinions.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
as popular as Hoppes is, I would imagine Remington would be the best place to ask this question. I agree with Swamp Puppy that it shouldn't, but you may want to call them real quick to find out. It probably won't take more than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I have had no problems, but I use a lot of other products that take the plastic out on my target guns and I wouldn't use that stuff on a camo gun as it may harm the finish. Specifically, Shooters Choice.

If you haven't tried the new Hoppies line you need to check it out. Totally harmless to you and yours and no smell. Will not harm finishes of any kind and really gets down in the metal for the powder residue. Good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Aaaah, there's nothing like the smell of ol' No. 9... Every time I crack open the bottle and get a whiff, I am transported back in time. I can still remember heading down the cellar stairs in my pajamas to watch Dad clean his guns. Funny how smells can do that...

Hoppe's without the smell just isn't the same. I don't care how well it works. It's like coloring Easter eggs in water instead of vinegar!

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I must admit it is one of my favorite smells. I wonder why they never came out with cologne? Maybe because it would attract the wrong sex!. :laughing:

Seriously though, it is bad for you to breath and I have heard it may be on the way out. At my age I figure something is going to kill me so I don't worry about it's long term effects that much, but I have small children that like to hang around my loading and cleaning bench that don't need a steady diet of the stuff. I shoot and clean multiple days a week, not just a day here and there during hunting season. So if you wife and kids are around and you don't want to go out in the garage or something try the Elite. Then when no one is around crack open the #9 for old time sake. The Elite will also get the following deep in the metal. Clean a gun with #9 and then try the Elite and watch the patches come out black! Once you get a gun clean with the Elite you will find your gun cleans 80% faster. Have discoloration on your action or on you revolver cylinder? Use the Elite and it will wipe right off.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.