Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys or gals allow your dogs indoors and overnight? I am contemplating getting my first Chessie and am looking for pros and cons of a full-time family pet that does live inside with the family. Does this have any ill effect on its ability afield? I figure I will use the dog for field work for around 4 months per year--the other 8 it would be our family dog. Can I reasonably expect no nonsense field work during hunting season and a docile family pet the rest of the year? Any input would be appreciated.

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the input fellas, keep it comin. To further your view of my situation I will explain more. Whenever the pup cannot be supervised by my wife during the day it will be kept in a 10 x 10 room in the basement. Probably no longer than a few hours at a time. I plan on kenneling him during the night in our bedroom, providing the whining and what-not doesn't make me mental. My biggest concern, regarding training, is keeping my wife and 2 children(6 & 2) on the same page as I am. The last thing I need is my son rough-housing, my daughter playing tug-o-war, and my wife feeding it off the table all hours of the day during work. Again, keep the opinions coming and I will post further as events warrant.

Cort

· Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
at what point in the dogs life do you guys find it acceptable to just leave the kennel door open as an option-a come and go as you please policy?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.