Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I had a pretty good season. It was not of couse the boom years of the mid to late 90s, but I managed to kill my share. I only really had the one slow period shortly after Thanks. It did not last that long though. I hunted public ground in northern Utah and Idaho. I killed about %70 of my ducks in Utah. I have read on other forums about guys not able to get into ducks on public ground in northern Utah, but I had good to fair hunts most of the year. One thing that I have noticed over the last few years is that scouting seems to be more important than ever. I used to have some spots that just paid out nearly every time. With the popularity of "mud buddys" and the like the pressure is changing that. Now I seldom kill ducks in the same old places. I am sure lack of water has something to do with it as well. Also I notice ducks becoming more decoy shy late in the season. I may be up in the night , but I think it has to do with the wide use of spinners. I see people using them to pull ducks over top of them on the dike then sky busting at them I think all that acomplishes in the end is educated ducks. I have hunted the same marshes all my life... since way before the floods. It is interesting to watch things change over time. From lead to heavy shot, from cardboard silos to machanical decoys, from wood to acrylic calls. it is has been and always will be challenging to stay "in the ducks" on public land in northern Utah. For me that is half the fun figuring things out. I have wondered if I would get the same thrill from hunting a club as I do from out guessing the hunting pressure as well as the ducks. I don't know and on my budget probably never will find out. I sure love the game though.

I hope you all had a great year.
Bret

·
Registered
247 Posts
HAD A FAIR YEAR..........
Found out alot about my dog and my self and we both need to work harder.
hit about 30% of what i shot at...........not sure what happened so back to clays .
over all met a lot of new people , as a hunter ed instructor its great to see the kids we put out there this year. the best memory of this year,was a 12 yr old and his first duck.
we both shot at the duck, it went down... tanner went out ( he did well over all.) but when he came back, the kid and i were deciding who hit it.
i asked him how long he has been hunting. he told me this was his first year and was having a good time. i asked him why he thought the duck belonged to him, and he mentioned i thought i had hit it but if ididnt that is ok.............well as tanner came in with it, i saw that it was a really good size canvas back. ......... so i decided to give it him..............the kid was happy. ( that is the short not long of that story)
but i look forward to meeting those of you on this list.
practice practice practice................ill see ya next year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.