Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Something you might try is finding a shallow pond , shallow enough where the dog does not have to swim, put on your waders or hip boots and just head out into the water. I have seen very few young dogs, that are bonded to their owners, that won't follow. If the dog acts like they want to follow but whines I might just tell the dog to come on but in a tone that has no urgency just casual. Even If the pup goes in an just gets his feet wet that's good enough for starters, They will get the idea soon enough. Personaly I would not force the dog I think it does more harm than good. Labs usually have a natural affinity for water so it is a little surprising that the dog does not want to get wet but they are all individuals and have to be handeled accordingly. Hope it works out.

·
Registered
233 Posts
NEVER EVER force a pup into water. If you have already done this you have a long way to go to fix the mistake you have already made.

If not---If the dog is from a hunting stock then shackle a duck or pigeon and through it out in a small pond infront of the dog---That should drive him to the point of madness and he'll go in.

Take whatever the dog likes---ball stuffed animal ect and do the same.

Just like what was said in the previous post though if you just walk in he should follow.

I am not sure where you are located either, but mid february is generally not the best time to try to get your pup to swim.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Usually I just show it to them and they are in it, but my current dog was a little shy around water and didn't want to go in. I waited until the weather got nice and then went down to a nice shallow sandy boat landing area and with a friend we went in and started playing around throwing a ball and a favorite toy of the dog's. It wasn't long and he was messing around in the water. By the third trip he was swimming around and having a high old time and making retrieves. Now I have to avoid mud puddles if I don't have time to clean him up as he will be in it trying to swim :getdown: , which usually ends up in having a head to toe brown lab that is normally yellow. All labs love water they just have to realize it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My lab was afraid of the water until she was about 6 months old. Every dog is different and they have to do it on their own terms. Like others stated, never ever force the dog into the water. You will ruin it from ever touching water. One thing to try, when it is warmer weather, is vist a park with other dogs or pond with other dogs so they are more interested in playing in the pond with other dogs. My brother in law and friend both have labs and that is one way I got mine to come around to water. The other thing I did was to toss a dog busicuit out, not to for maybe chest deep, and she would get it. Now though I can not keep her out of the water, stinky, cold, muddy, clear, someones swimming pool, anything she can jump into she is in it.

Take you time and dont force the dog, it will come around.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Everyone has given good advice. The part about the water and outside temp NOT being cold is critical. I always put on some waders or hip boots and go out into the water with a bumper. I'll splash the bumper around in the water about 3 feet from the bank, where the water is not even belly-deep for the dog. Get all spastic and excited, make the dog want that bumper so bad that they whine. After a few times, that dog will be all in the water. Probably won't be long before you have to scold the dog to stay out of the water!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just trial and error eveyone has good ideas, im with steve mine was in at 3 months and all i did was get in with her and whe was off and has not looked back since. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
138 Posts
With my adult dog , I just got in and soon enough he was out paddling around in no time . The only problem I ever had was during his first duck hunt,I shot a duck on an unusually cold day . As soon as he hit the frigid water ,he turned tail and refused the retrieve. It hadn't occured to me that water retrieves in September are a whole 'nother ball game from 40 degree water in Nov.. :eek: Soooo.... I basically had to start a short regimen of force fetching in COLD water,with me standing out there with him. By weeks end he had overcome his fears of coldwater and now is a regular skinny,black polar bear. :smile:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Here is what I did. I tied the puppy up to a tree about 5 foot from the shore. I took the older dog and threw some dead ducks into the water and made a big deal out of it. Lots of praise for the dog swimming to me with the duck. The puppy was pulling and crying wanting to go in. After about 5 retrieves I untied the puppy and voila! It is damn near impossible to keep them out of the water now.

If there is another dog around try this out, it worked fast for me. The 4 month old puppy was retrieving bumpers by the end of the day, no joke!

Mike

·
Registered
233 Posts
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Funny and good idea

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
64 Posts
unless you live somewhere that is very warm don't even think about introducing a young dog to the water in winter. Wait for the weather / water to warms up enough for you to go in without boots or waders the dog will follow you in with a little encourgment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
We had a swimming pool in Bama, the dog started swimming when the kids did.... trained her with a tennisball... had several friends who had dogs with the same problem ...... took them out to a really small pond.... every one of them followed my dog to retrieve the bumpers we were throwing in.

I would heal my dog and let theirs retrieve... very short throws at first... then farther. If they hesitated - I sent mine after it...... then it became a contest of which one could get there fastest.... turned out to be great fun... and great experience for the young dogs.....

Small, shallow pond worked the best. Warmer weather also helped!!!!

Good luck - :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Steve Jackson

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2 year old not neutered male who I duck hunt with. He is a fairly good dog overall but on slow days if he sees ducks in the air or a hunting partner starts moving around he starts to whine with excitement. There does not seem to be any way to quiet him.

If he gets some decent action he is not nearly as bad. On the slow days it is the difference between going home empty handed or not.

Brian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.