Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pretty new to waterfowling (1 season under my belt) and have never set up a field spread. I am planning to hunt a few fields next year and need some help.

I have 24 shells, 12 with motion steaks, 6 full bodies, 12 goose silos, 12 duck silos and a bunch of duck floaters that I can ake the keels off of. I'd like to set it up so that we could get geese and ducks in. There are only 3 shooters so our area of laying out is fairly small. We will be hunting cut corn and bean fields.

What have you guys seen that works? I'm probably going to pick up another 6 or 12 full bodies before next year to add to the spread too.

So what works? Pictures would be GREAT.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
419 Posts
When I go with 3 people we use about 2-3 dozen geese and 6 GHG FB ducks. We use mainly fb's (18 Big foots, 6 GHG's, and shells) with some good looking shells. When I go by myself I use my 6 GHG FB lesser's with motion stakes they look great and do the job. we set more or less a big spread out U with family groups making the U and 2 or 3 geese in the U. Then behind and to the right of the geese we set the ducks up I found SPW decoys scare the geese so if there are mainly ducks we use them if not we don't. We position the blinds in a family group close to the ducks and close to the center of the U.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Spinning Wing Decoys-MOJO's or Lucky Ducks

We usually put out a lot more decoys, 7-9 dozen, full bodies, mostly shells, and some silos. We have put out some GHG Duck Decoys because of the removable keels and the spinner but turn it off or pull when the geese start flying. Sometimes the spinners do not bother the geese but most of the time it does. But like duckschooler said it is a wide u shape with your most realistic deeks in the lay up or kill hole. I like to have a few sentries posted on each point of the U as geese just walking into the spread and a few watching over different small groups of feeders. Then I also put 2 more sentries (mouths open if you have them) facing the way most of the birds are flying. These are my caller/greeters. This is important because geese on the ground will turn toward the birds in the air to call to them. That is what works for me and Fred Zink. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have had my two best hunts of the season, 17 bird kill (last thursday) and a 16 bird kill (last saturday) hunting over my 6 GHG full body actives and 12 oversize GHG shells.

Thursday we just used the GHG (for the first time, their new) and you could just see the birds respond and work right in to the spread like I have never seen before. All of our shots were 10-20-30 yards. Most were under 20

Saturday I took a larger group of people out, 7, so I set out a larger spread to keep the geese' eyes occupied instead of seeing us, it was 12 super mag carry-lite shells, 5 flambeau standard size shells, 4 carry-lite 1 piece shells and the 18 GHG previously mentioned. Almost immediately I could tell the geese were not work as well. Alot did work in just as well, but at the same time some flared and did not commit. It could also be the fact that we were hunting the same field as thurs, but I doubt it.

We just use a horseshoe type shape, we like to mix up numbers and shape of the horseshoe, anything works as long as there is a fairly obvious "hole" to direct the birds into where you want them to land.

We set our blinds 10-20 yards upwind of the decoys, and of course the landing zone is downwind because birds land into the wind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.