Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Well you siad use... so that means to me on average how many decoys do I set out when hunting. I say 8 to 9 dz Smag G&Hs, Mallards, Pintials, Blacks, coots, etc.. and at least 9 Honkers too.
frankly my boat will not handle more than 10 dz. with me and the dog.

Now if you are asking how many do I have? That is another story altogether again. I have 7 dz SMag Divers, 6 dz mags divers, 20 coots, 8 dz Puddlers in Smag, plus a 2 dz mags if I want to back pack into a spot. And for field I have 2 dz G&H shells, 1 dz silos, and 4 dz socks in Mallards/Pintails.

And I'm not going into all the goose decoys either... :mrgreen:

Some say I need :help: I'm not going to disagree :toofunny:

·
Registered
598 Posts
I got 4dz. mag mallards, 1dz. pintails and 1 dz. green wings and fixin to add a few dozen geese to that. I hardly ever use all of them at once. Last season me and my buddy used 9 mallard dekes and that's all. 4 drakes and 5 hens in about a 4 acre timber hole with a bunch of willows in it. We had our limits in about an hour. Having the biggest setup out there isn't always gonna kill ducks. That's what everybody thinks around here and they blow all their money on decoys. I have killed a lot more than them on somedays with my 9 compared to their 1 or 2 hundred.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Hell, I forgot to answer the drake/hen ratio. I put out everything I own when I'm hunting my favorite spot. It's hundreds of acres of open water and the biggest spreads win. I should have twice as many that anyone else will put out. Hopefully..........

We also hunt a small narrow river in Oklahoma. When we do that we only put out a doz. or so with mostly drakes.

yeller

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
And the hen/drake is.........?

he forgot the second time too!

:toofunny:

·
Registered
68 Posts
how many do I have? I'm not sure too many I suppose but 90% of the time I don't use more than 1 1/2 dozen mallard dekes about 12 hens and six drakes sometimes I might toss in a couple of woodies or/and teal.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I use a dozen mallards half and half in a j formation....then 6 bluewing, 4 hen, 2 drake in a small pod with a vibrater in the middle, that I use down wind from the j. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
935 Posts
8 dz field geese + 300 rags, 7 dz field Mallards, 7 dz Mallards, 6 dz asst puddlers, 9 dz Bluebills, 5 dz asst divers, 3 dz Coots and a couple dz odds and ends that I've carved. Know it's alot but I only get a dz or 2 each season, been doing this awhile.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.