Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the area i hunt ducks there are also large amounts of both snow geese and canadian geese. How many decoys and how many of any spacific species do i need for about a 40 ancre been field. And what brand to guys recomend for a beginer goose hunter.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There are alot of variables in how many and what kind. For snows you are gonna need alot of decoys (several hundred). For canadas a few dozen will suffice here, but maybe not there.

For snows, you can get Texas Rags and make them into windsocks, but I suggest economy Northwinds. The rags get beat up really bad, really quick.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Last year I found a field to hunt on one of the last days of the season. I thew out my 5 goose floaters and was calling them in :getdown: I just got a dozen G&H shells and 3 flambeau fb's and will be getting another dozen GHG shells. The G&H shells don't look too bad, but the heads are hard to get in and out. I'd go with GHG, I think they look the best for the price.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
yer looking at several hundred....those snows like numbers here in texas....the most reasonable way to do that would to go with texas rags.....we usually put out 1500 and we use EVERY one. Then for dark geese, we put out about 500. A lot of guys say the rags rip and tear to easily.....IT DOES NOT MATTER.....when using that many decoys, a few ripped here and there is not a big deal.

·
Registered
231 Posts
setting up and taking down 500 dekes is some work! my hat is off to you guys.

you get what you pay for. we run all big foots (around 140)i would rather have 6 big foots, than 3 dozen shells. just my 2 cents though

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i cant afford much i dont have a job so it cant be more than say, $70
i know its not alot but i need money to buy duck gear also.
this is only for canadians cause im gonna get some rags for the snows which is what is mainly around, and there arn't to many, just about a hundred geese or so, and they all fly at the same time for about a 10-20 minute period.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.