Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started duck hunting this last year and the only way I have every hunted them was by pass shooting in a cornfield. There is a public lake area close to my house that ducks are always on and I would like to decoy them in. How many decoys do you think it would take to bring um in.
I was thinking maybe one or two dozen of those GHG hot buy mallards.

any advise would be great

·
Registered
29 Posts
if you hunt a high prusure spot use 3 or 4 deks and dont over call this woorks great on small lakes and ponds. :yes: I know guys that will do this and pull in more ducks than the guys set up with 4 dozen ducks.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My duck spread consists of 84 mallards, 2 woodies, 2 pinnies, 2 teal. And i'll throw out 26 diver decoys in front. Also i put canadas out about 40 yards in front of the puddlers, then you know when they are in range.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have about 5doz mallards 1doz pintails 2dozen wood ducks and 4 canvasbacks. I have about I did it only one time and I don't think I will ever set them all up again unless I can leave the decoys set up. I only use about 2 1/2 doz at a time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have 2 dozen decoy and plan on buying a few more, most of mine consist of mallards, 1 mojo, and a few wood ducks all being GHG hot buys, besides the woodies, and mojo. I agree with outdoorsetc1 that I have had days were I only need about 5 dekes and no mojo mixed with very little calling and had great days. so once you get your dekes you have too see what the ducks want, cause if they dont like your spread, its cya later, but if they do like it, they will look like suicide bombers! so 2 dozen dekes, and move them around until you figure out what the ducks want, and dont wait around until the days is over, many people think well it will scare the ducks, I hate to tell them but they aint doin no hell of alot of shooting anyways, and the ducks aint coming nowhere close to working so do something about it and stop complaining that your having a bad day! but good luck too you in the upcoming seasons I hope I helped you out a little! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
donell67 said:
1 or 2 dozen will be fine. but i would suggest flambaeu or carrylite if you want some cheap dekes.might as well do it right the first time and get some G&H they will last years and years.
Hotbuys will run you about the same as flambeau, and IMO look way better. Hit some waterfowl sales in your area, and you can usually find hot buys going for 30 bucks a dozen. 2 dozen is a great starting point. Pick up a spinner as well that will help out quite a bit. Build your spread as you get more guys around you that duck hunt, and before you know it you will have a full rig. Good luck :beer:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.