Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use spinners, jerks cords, wind socks, etc... ?

How would you rate the effectivness of it?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
We use a robo duck. We have hunted without them and watched guys with them just hammer the ducks. Even when we are in the spot the ducks wanted to be, we just couldn't compete, so I broke down and bought one. Lost one wing, and it still draws the ducks.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Use 3 tail feeders with those quiver deals screwed to the bottom, makes a world of difference on a dead calm day.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The only motion my decoys get is from the wind. I got a robo but I never use it, flares the ducks at my hole. But it's in the middle of our woods so I don't have to worry about competition so I'm sure if i had comp. I would need some kinna motion in it. Alot of the time I don't have to call, In fact if u don't pay attention, they'll surpriseu. I remember many times I was standin there talkin to my buddy and all of a sudden we'd hear that beautiful sound of ducks sailin in to the decoys and we'd look up and they'd be about 15 or 20 yards out. Great huntin. :salude:

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
We normally set out 2 or 3 spinners unless no one else is hunting the area. The we don't put any out. I've also used the little torpedos you attach to the bottom of the decoy and those really work on the ducks, but they're a pain. They will twist the line even if you use swivels and the prop can become fouled from small pieces of grass/twigs. This year I built a Mallard Machine and we'll be using that. Sometimes later in the season we'll put out jerk strings too.

yeller

·
Registered
899 Posts
I have a couple of MOJOs that we use. Haven't really noticed that much difference. The mallard machine we use puts a lot of motion in all of the decoys and works well later in the season to keep the ice away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use a mojo some of the time when the ducks arent so spooky then we switch to the jerk string which is most of the time. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
36 Posts
I live and hunt near the area where the first Robo ducks were invented (northeren CA) and used. They first started out as a goal post style and then transformed into a decoy style that everyone makes today. I still take them out with me on evey hunt. When no one was using them you could set out a robo and 6 decoys in a puddle and limit out in about 30 min. Now everyone has 1-4 spinning at a time and the ducks are leary of them. They do still work on days and are very effective.
Sometimes the birds land on them and sometimes they flare way out. I find you need to keep moving them around (just like decoy spreads) until you find the right set up. Early AM they work great. As they day moves on we usually turn them off.
The biggest advantage I see them having is that it does get the birds that are willing to come in closer. I hunt with my 10 yr old son now and can sit him in a better position to make a good shot and be sucessfull :yes:
Hope this helps!!!!!
Jduck1

·
Registered
138 Posts
I use and love quiver magnets. You know; those hockey puck shaped contraptions that vibrate in the water. I use 1 per doz. decoys and not only does it add motion but it also helps prevent the water from freezing up. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
873 Posts
For duck hunting, motion can make a difference, but i stress can because sometimes if they see the motion clear from the artic circle clear downt to texas, they might get a little weary of the spinners, however that same motion could be the difference that makes them decide to come in or not. I personally do not have any motion decoys of any kind, but have hunted over some and they do help (here in Kansas) on ducks, but tend to scare away the geese. I plan to get a robo duck (or similar product) for next season 'cause i lack the funds to get one this season.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We use skyscraper spinning wing decoy when calm and/or freezing cold we also use the Pulsator system and a homemade mallard machine. All seem to help at certain times have had decoy smart ducks flare from the skyscraper. I saw in an earlier post someone said the skyscraper was a piece of crap, we lost ours in 4 foot of water that froze over that night and was in the water and then under ice for 2 weeks when both were gone went back found it and took it home plugged it in the charger and the wings (which had broken under the ice) started to turn called the company and they sent us new wings that was 2 seasons ago still using same one today. Needless to say I have a different opinion of my skyscraper decoy.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I've got a skyscraper, but I don't use it very much, I seem to do alot better without robo's, the ducks usually just really like my spot, but every now and then I'll use it, wish it had a remote though, I'd like it alot more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I've used the quiver deal before. It works sometimes, and sometimes it doesn't. Seems to be the consensus with motion decoys.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I use a jerk string with a folding anchor and a 10" soft bunjie.I pull it tight and when I want motion I let go and 4 or 5 dekes go skipping across the wate. it works very well.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts