Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,621 Posts
we keep our dogs in the house there spoiled. some people say it ruins them for hunting. my old yellow lab has been a house dog for about 5years now. he is still a great hunting dog. the new dog i got doesnt want to retrieve the birds. i dont think its because of being in the house. he just doesnt have the drive.

· Registered
1,854 Posts
Has no affect on hunting ability to keep a dog in the house. I love when people see my laid back shorthair in the house and ask me does that dog actually hunt. I get a big smile and invite them to watch her in the field. Two different dogs! They know when its time to get fired up. And like Philip said you get more enjoyment out of them.

· Registered
138 Posts
I tried the kennel approach with 2 pups I bought in June. I felt it was a dismal failure when I compared their development with my adult house dog. They didn't listen nearly as well , they seemed to not care whether or not they were pleasing me during training sessions. Thus , I abandoned that idea and now all 3 stay in the house, and the pups are coming along beautifully.

· Registered
109 Posts
I've had a lot of dogs and kept all but two in the house, I would have kept the others in the house and in fact they could come in and out, they just liked it better outside. I think unless your a trainer your dog is your buddy and I think does better when they can be with you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.