Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dad and I are debating about sending our bird dog to school. He needs to learn how to hold his points. He is an extremely smart dog, and he doubles as our warm weather duck dog. The dog is an approximately 5 yoa Brittany.

Question
How much useful life do you think he has left? Would it be worth the money to have him trained professionally. We don't wanna lay down that kinda of cash for a dog that may only be able to hunt a couple more years. I might get a new dog when I get outta school, but not if this one is still salvagable.

· Registered
271 Posts
This is totally anecdotal, but I would guess that a 10 year old BS is about the top end. This is just based on my guess. My Dad bred them when I was a kid and I've hunted over them for almost 25 years. All of ours topped out by the time they were 10.

Sounds like he is functional now. The money would be better 'invested' on a new dog. Sending a dog to a pro is not a cheap proposition.

· Registered
6 Posts
we have a chessie that is 13 years going on 14 old serprizingly. she is the oldest chessie we had live by 3 years. she just stoped hunting last year, and even now and then we take her out
I would not recomend spending the money and the 5 year old dog i would try training myself or just living with it and spend the money on a new pup that you will get years of hunting out of him.

good huntin

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.