Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 238 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey has anyone tried to build their own mud motor? I was thinking about taking on that task, does anyone have any plans or hints to help me. Thanks a bunch and good luck to all you duck hunters. :help:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a 16' alum. jon boat . There is a 25 horse chyrsler on the back of it right now , just doesn't get the job done where I hunt, it's low water and marsh mud conditions to hard for that motor to work in it's constantly getting jammed up with various reeds,mud,etc..... I hope you can help that would be great.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Looky here, he didnt try....he DID it. I havent seen it in person, but have seen pics and he's helped out a couple of other guys to get their own built. Go to conservationcafe.com, I believe he goes by LIW :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm interested in this topic big time and for obvious reasons! I'm a father to 5 great kids and could never afford a go devil or any other mud motor but I might be able to build one on a budget! I've sent a message to LIW but he hasn't been around for a bit I guess so it's all still up in the air! I'd even be interested in the motors built from weed eaters/ weed wackers for my canoe!
Thanx for reading!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am currently trying to build a hyperdrive. I found a beavertail, Mudbuddy frame), but I am more interested in building a hyper drive after seeing one in action. I have just gotten started but I am working on the drive shaft now. I will probably end up spending the same amount of money as a new one would cost. But........I can spend a little at a time instead of a lot at once.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
So Whats up? Any one get one of these done? I have a rototiller witha horzonal block motor, maybe a 6hp and might go to an auction soon and see what they go so I can keep the rototiller. :mrgreen: I figure, The way that motor works now. It could run on a 3:1 gear ratio in water and rip up some water. :yes:

Can't be too hard bearing on a shaft in 2 spots and weld a frame with rock gaurds. I was even thinking about using a gearing set up for increased speed. Maybe like a 20:10 chain gear like on a bike. How about a 54:15 like on a BMX bike.

Wondering if it would bog down.

Also, a 30 CC weedwacker is like 1.5hp and isn't going to go that fast. I got a 28c I can play with if anyone has ideas on making a 1.5hp kick some tail.

:cool:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Come one boys, No help yet?

I got an idea for sealed bearings and a universal joint for the proto and sealed gear between the univ joint and the moter for the later work?

Help with sealed gears for the water and and a universal joint that will fit a rototiller moter will help.

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Please! :getdown:

Post here or send them to me. I have broadband so send anything you want.

:getdown: :getdown: :getdown:

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
You need them hosted some where. Some people are using cuddlefish. The click the IMG button and paste the URL for each between IMG button clicks.

If you can not do it send them to me and I'll do it for you. I'll PM you my e-mail.

·
Registered
149 Posts
my hunting buddy's brother works for a farmer and in the winter months he just got some pics of a beavertail of the net and went to work with a 11hp briggs........he got it done.....except with a twist....and i cant say......but he was flown down to louisiana to a beavertail facility...... and had mark fisher himself look at his idea....... and it sounds like beavertail has a new engineer on staff....the new idea comes out in 06...... soo it can be done.....but i dont think i'll be gettin any plans from him soon

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Did it involve the term "gear ratio"?

·
Registered
25 Posts
viper24k said:
my hunting buddy's brother works for a farmer and in the winter months he just got some pics of a beavertail of the net and went to work with a 11hp briggs........he got it done.....except with a twist....and i cant say......but he was flown down to louisiana to a beavertail facility...... and had mark fisher himself look at his idea....... and it sounds like beavertail has a new engineer on staff....the new idea comes out in 06...... soo it can be done.....but i dont think i'll be gettin any plans from him soon
I have a homemade longtail if you need pictures let me know I can send them to you. It is on its 4th season this year and it does a real good job. A young man from walnut log, tn.(reelfoot lake) made it for 500 bucks I had to furnish the motor and prop. It is made real heavy and I been running the crap out of it since the day I got it. the only thing I have done to it is paint the muffler a couple times. He is also making the shorttails now is what I was told when i was at the lake last month. It has bearings instead of the bronze bushings. I been ask to sell it many times and I told them he would make them one. I have his phone number and address if anyone needs it. I have pictures of it I can send you too.

I thought mark fisher was from Avon,minn. I didn't know he was in La. too.
It may be gator-tail you are talking about they are in La. I think Mark fisher is a dealer for gator-tail. I know he sells them on his web site.
The gator-tail is a very well built motor that a young man from La. dreamed up and made while in school at LSU for a class project and he got together with his family and started making them. He tells the story on gator-tails web site in a news interview on a video on his website. It is a real cool story. He is the first to make these motors over 5 years ago.
he is the original inventor of the belt drive shorttail mud motor. mudbuddy is just a copy with imported from china parts on it. the gator-tail is the only belt drive motor that is completey made in house. The transmission for this motor was also made in house. These guys are some of the best in design technology. I am sure we will see more from them in the future concerning these types of motors. check their website out and see what they are up too. They have some cool video's to watch .

1 - 20 of 238 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.