Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1,896 Posts
Buy the Water Dog Video, thats how I did it. Then ask ? from others along the way to help you along the way. Training a dog is not hard in my opinion as long as you have patients and at lease a dog that hald desires to work and please you will do fine. And then finally it takes time, time, time and more time. Not all at once just here and there. :thumbsup:

· Registered
2,870 Posts
I agree with SCoutdoorsman.

I'm training my first pup and it's going well. I am following a combination of the Richard Wolters "Water Dog" DVD, his "Game Dog" book, and inserting tid-bits from sites like this and experienced trainers that I talk to. Wolters methods are great, but don't get stressed out about his time table. I think the major weakness of his method is he sets unreasonably short time regement for a novice trainer (i.e. me). Just be patient and work through the progression regardless of time. Also I've found that most experienced dog trainers are hunters and are really friendly folks. Talk'em up. They are a treasure of info and experience and most really like to talk about their dogs.

· Registered
2 Posts
The Tri-Tronics Book did me a ton of good. Also Join a local UKC- HRC hunt club. That was the MOST helpful to me. You will meet others with the same interests and hopefully a few seasoned veterans that know a lot!! Good luck.

· Registered
1,345 Posts
Go to www.wildrosetradingcompany.com . He has several great books.
All are easy to follow. As to ecollar training, if you cannot train a dog without an ecollar, you sure cannot train one with. Leave the ecollars to the trained professionals, otherwise you run a great risk of ruining your dog because you will end up taking your frustration out through that magic little hot button. Drake, the official Lab of Ducks Unlimited was fully trained having never worn an ecollar.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.