Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pair of waders, and a rather bulky coat. The coat I sized a lil' big in order to layer for those bitterly cold days, as well as fit a PFD underneath it for hunting from a boat, (i've got a canoeing vest that does not rise above the chest). plus it seems that the smaller size was just too small, and likely wouldn't have fit waders underneath. problem: the sip-out liner is huge...warm, but huge. The coat is newer, and I don't really think I need to bring it back. My question to you all is, should I worry about catching the stock on the coat when I raise my gun?Should I leave the liner out until it's absolutely needed? Or should I invest in a tighter fitting shell/coat for days when the weather is better? Maybe you can give your thoughs and experiences?

Anyone have anythoughts about those hybrid wading jackets? Worth the $, waterproof?

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Dress up and go shoot something. Maybe some clay targets. See how it works. If you have gun hang up problems you may need to change. I usually get stuff a size bigger for layering. This year I got some new cold weather deer hunting stuff and I layered all up at Cabela's and picked up a used gun and tried it out to see how well it worked right in the store.

I don't know about high tech but I have a basic wader jacket with gortex and I love it, wouldn't have one without the waterproofing for water fowling.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't actually go shoot, but I did stand around quickly raising the stock to my shoulder, anchoring at different points. So far it hasn't seemed to unusual...occasionally it gets hung up, but thats quite rare.

I guess that answers my question a bit, if I can still raise the gun to my shoulder without it catching 90-95% of the time I should be pretty well off. But still, what do any of you think of the hybrid wading jackets? or simply a wading jacket...I saw that neoprene one from cabelas, but it can't be that warm can it?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.