Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to Howards Slough for the first time yesterday. I was more on a scouting mission then hunting becuase of my unfamilarity with the area. The two ponds looked great and they were holding a lot of birds ... coots. Anyways long story short I have never seen an area so miss used and unkept. It was a joke :pissed: there were thousands of used shells all over the place and I counted 7 dead birds laying off the side of the ****. What a joke, it made me never want to step foot in there again. Something needs to be done out there, they need to enforce they littering rules, or stop letting the morons out there. I guess people take a great thing for granted when it is in thier back yards. :hammering: :thumbsdown: I know I am on a bit of a soap box but it really did make me sick, in fact it made me sad to be a duck hunter. If thats the way people treat nice areas no wonder farmers wont let us on thier lands. Come on people ......

·
Registered
24 Posts
You got that right! every time I go to FB I leave with a bag full of spent shells people leave behind! plus empty water bottles they leave in my blind I use! I always leave my blinds nice and clean then during the next week before I go back somebody always leaves crap all over the place in the blinds?? I can't believe theres hunters out their that are that trashy? I always thought as a Duck Hunter that we are privleged people to hunt on federal land but then you got these idiots that make all of us look so bad!

·
Registered
168 Posts
To bad people like us are few and far between. Hunters and OHV folks need to give PETA and environmentalist less fuel for their fire and make sure the areas we use are left better than we got there. We can rant and rave all day about this but the fact is the DWR and feds have less and less funding and when it comes down to it there are priorities and trash removal is not one of them. They need the help and support of the sportsmans community to keep things in check and to keep a watchful eye on the marsh when they are not there. I agree that the littering fine should be inforced especially on a Saturday morning! Being my first year of duck hunting I too am appauled at what other people do in the marsh and it saddens me that these people think their behavior is okay. I have since made sure to leave areas better and I clean up other peoples trash and I fill a bag or my bucket and pack. Oh well my .02 on the matter.

Us honest and caring sportsmans need to make sure and educate everyone we hunt with and our children about the values of our great resources; we can and do make a difference.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
I really appreciate you guys' commenting on the conditions at Howard's Slough. I live less than 10 minutes from the slough and have spent many years there hunting. I made my first trip of the year to the slough on Tuesday afternoon and was absolutely appalled at the manner in which my fellow sportsmen treat the place. Gentlemen please do not lose sight of the fact that areas, such as Howard's Slough, are sections of land reserved entirely for management of the very thing which drives us to do what we do on those cold, wet, windy days-hunt ducks! As you guys stated, the place was covered with spent shotgun shells, soda cans, candy wrappers, and dead pintails (which clearly is a result of hunters killing more than their legal limit of pinnies). I had my 8-year-old son with me and he was thrilled to nearly fill a small backpack full of empty shells. My father taught me to be respectful and I feel that we as sportsmen have an obligation to teach our children and other outdoorsmen the same lessons-respect other hunters, respect the gun, respect the wildlife, and respect the land which we are privileged to utilize to participate in the sport we love.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.