Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i was wondering if anyone could help me find a place to duck hunt next year. We are looking for an unguided hunt and for mostly ducks and geese. We are prepared to hunt any kinda water or fields. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Honestly, that's a pretty tough question to ask. You could get a wide range of answers.

Here is the duck distribution in the state:

The bird numbers and pressure change from year to year, so I suggest getting an understanding of the zones, stay mobile, and look into lodging around your area of choice.

In other words, you could throw a dart at the map and have just about the same results no matter where it lands.

Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I too am planning a trip in October 2005 from Ohio. Looks like we are coming with about 6-8 guys. A few of them have hunted the area around Napoleon, ND. Looks like this is the area we will be hunting in 2005.

I'm looking for any information there you might have. I've been to the wildlife web site.

I'd like to include some pheasant hunting also. Do you have any info. to assist me?

Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The Napoleon area seems to get drier every year so the local numbers aren't what they used to be. That doesn't mean it doesn't hold migrants, however.

Pheasants are in the same boat as ducks, depending on the winter and spring will determine which areas are good so it's too early to tell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Chris, Thanks for the reply. I just recently stumbled onto this sight and seem to check it daily now. A lot of good info. on here. We chose the Napoleon area since a few of my buddies were out there about two years ago. They too said it had been drying up over the three years they had went there. Now they haven't been there in two years.

I see the map you've posted in this thread. What would you say is the "hot spot" right now? I'm trying to get as much information as I can to help in making this a successful hunting trip. And being your own guide can sometimes be tough without some help from the locals. :help:

Thanks.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Still too early to tell. The key is to watch the snow maps late this winter to see who has the most snow, and who gets the most rain in the spring. Ducks will concentrate more in these areas that are wetter. Works like clockwork every year.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seems that people hunting that area are consistantly going north to find birds. If you draw a line from Steele to Ellendale, it is about as dry as a popcorn fart if you got anywhere within 50 miles of that line. There is still some decent hunting, but nothing like it was a few years ago when there was water.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.