Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all was wondering if you could help me. I have a new pup...13 weeks .....and am wondering ahead of time what it takes to get into hunt tests and such. Could you tell me what I need to be able to have the dog do and at what age each step should be done at or by what age they need to be done by? Also what is the cost for these events and are there areas around me that they do these test.

Thanks!
Ryan
Morton, MN

·
Registered
215 Posts
Ryan,
Congrats on the pup and great to hear you are thinking about getting into the hunt test game! I am also a new trainer (my pup is 24 wks), but have been involved with my local retriever club and actually worked a dog thru Junior Hunt (JH) last summer, so I might be able to give you a bit of an idea of what is expected.

JH - 2 land singles, 2 water singles. Dog can be on lead while watching the marks go down. Basically, it doesn't have to be pretty, but as long as the dog brings the bird back, they will pass. I THINK(?) they have to deliver the bird to hand, but I'm not 100% sure. Three JH passes will get you a JH title.

My best advice would be to join the local retriever club in your area and get to know some of the people involved in the tests. Hopefully you can join in with some training groups from there. I won't go into SH or MH because you'll need to go thru JH first and by doing that, you will meet people who can show you what is expected of a SH or MH level dog. It's a big step from JH to SH.

As for ages, I'll be the first of many to tell you that your program will be tailored to your dog, not the other way around. JH can be run at 6 mths of age, but it is entirely dependent on where your dog is. In my case, my pup will be 6mths old shortly but is definitely not ready for JH, simply because there have been several feet of snow on the ground since December and so she has gotten no field training!

Anyways, hope that helps a little. Also search the forum a little because I think 2tollers had a great post about hunt tests a while back!

Cheers,
Katherine

·
Registered
294 Posts
Ryan,

I don't do hunt tests, but I'm confident one question answered will only bring on more...so I recommend finding a retriever club in your area. Take the time to get to know people that are experienced...I believe that will be your best route.

If you want some reading, just do Google search as well. Plenty of info out there. There should be some good replies here too..

Good luck...

Mike

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
There are a lot of great NAHRA clubs in MN..We run several tests in St. Cloud etc...4 Points Retriever Club is one..What part of MN are you located???

I have also ran a few AKC in MN...

I would suggest that you follow a solid training program as well such as Smartwork..I would start with Smartwork Vol.1 book and the Smartwork Obediance DVD..

As far as a time line in training all dogs are different..

·
Registered
124 Posts
Slayer- There are AKC hunt tests and HRC hunt tests, not much difference other than titles. AKC junior you will need 4 passes for a title. You can restrain dog at line with a flat buckle collar but dog must deliver to hand. Most people think if the dog goes and gets the bird and brings it back they will pass, not necessarily. HRC started is about the same as far as mechanics 2 land singles & 2 water singles. My rule of thumb has always been you should be doing 1 level above what you are running. The junior and started tests are pretty simple but if you are doing senior level marks, simple doubles the tests should be a gimme. You can check out these sites for info on clubs, rules and upcoming events in your area.
http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/
https://www.entryexpress.net
http://www.akc.org/index.cfm

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
AND! you can find all the rules and regs on the AKC site for hunt tests. Keep digging and you will find videos of actual Field Trials. It's really cool to see some of that stuff; however, you got a ways to go in your initial training OB - force fetch etc. . . Once you get there then you can participate -> probably around mid-summer or so.

https://www.akc.org/events/hunting_test ... /index.cfm

AND nr 2 - if you want to save time and/money only run the SH tests folks. It will take an extra pass at it to get SH, however, at 65.00 per and all the other logistics why not save the bucks. That's my plan anyway.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I don't know if there are any clubs real close to Morton, MN. You might want to go to retrievertraining.net and ask if there are any training groups from that area. As far as the hunt test goes, if you haven't ran before I would start with JH to get your feet wet. SH can be pretty tough in in your area. It will get you and your dog use to running in front of people and other dogs. I started at SH and regretted it a little. My dog and I could of used the experience of going through JH first. I started at SH and failed my firstt three test and almost quit because I was frustated, glad I did'nt he passed the next three straight.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
slayer73 said:
I looked at the links and did not find a club near me. All were closer to the Twin Cities area.
The two NAHRA clubs in MN are each 110 miles from you. Couple hour drive. If they are anything like the clubs in Ohio they may train 50 miles from where they say they are located - possibly 50 miles closer to you! AND...good chance there will be some folks from one of those clubs that live closer to you in which you may hook up and train.

Either way you slice it it's gonna cost time and gas I'm afraid. Keep googling, looking and if nothing else - make a few phone calls to those listed as club officers and ask questions.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Good thought CDK and true - if you've never participated in a hunt test maybe a couple, but wouldn't you agree that after a couple of passes to go ahead into SH to save money and time?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yes I agree, it depends on the situation though, I did things the hard way, by myself. You will be leaps and bounds ahead if you can train with a good group, but thats not always possible due to time and location. I trained my dogs by myself and with the use of two remote wingers, my dogs were trained very well but when we went to the first test they were so distracted by all the people and dogs they didn't fair to well. You have to train as close to the real thing as possible. Live and learn, there doing great now, you should be able to find some people out in western MN to train with, I'm in Richmond MN and would rather drive west then across St. Cloud to train maybe we should start a group. :wink:

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Heck, if we could get all the people on this Hunting Dog Forum in one place we'd have one heck of a HRC for sure and probably enough equipment between us all to have several HRC's.

:lol:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts