Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys lets be safe when we are hunting. The last two years have seen 2 hunting accidents claim the lives of men in my county (Lyon County, KS). One deer and one turkey hunting accident. Think before you pull the trigger.

PLEASE BE SAFE THIS SEASON
Two arrested after hunting guide shot
By Jason Probst, Hutchinson News
Two University of Iowa staff members were arrested Wednesday evening after the guide of a bungled hunting trip in rural Reno County was accidentally shot.

The victim, Marlin Keith McQueen, was taken to Hutchinson Hospital, but his condition was not being released.

According to police reports, Paul K. Schroeder, 53, of Iowa City, Iowa, and Steven R. Volgamott, 43, of Coralville, Iowa, paid McQueen for a guided elk hunt on private property.

The farm-raised elk were transported from a pasture north of Hutchinson and released near Sand Creek and Morgan roads for the two men to hunt.

Val Jansen, regional law enforcement supervisor with the KDWP, said preliminary investigations indicate McQueen was standing in the hunters' line of fire, obscured by trees, when a shot was fired at one of the elk.

The bullet passed through the elk, hitting McQueen in the shoulder before entering his torso. Jansen said three shots were fired, but it remains unclear which hunter's bullet hit McQueen.

KDWP officers arrived at the scene to investigate the hunting accident and arrested Schroeder and Volgamott for allegedly hunting big game without a valid permit, hunting with a center fire rifle during muzzle-loading season, hunting big game without a valid license, hunting big game without wearing hunter orange and illegal use of radio for pursuing big game.

Schroeder and Volgamott told KDWP officers that McQueen had told them they did not need to obtain hunting licenses or permits for the hunt, but Jansen said anyone who hunts big game is required to buy a permit for the animal he is hunting.

It also is unlawful for anyone to release elk within the state, Jansen said, but once they are released, all hunting regulations pertaining to big game apply. Jansen said the restriction on releasing elk is in place to prevent the spread of chronic wasting disease - a disease that spreads quickly through a herd, causing deer, elk and antelope to slowly wither and die.

The incident is new and unique, Jansen said, because it involves an investigation into the permitting process for an arranged hunt - something that will be handled through the district attorney's office - and the rules governing the release of elk.

One of the elk was killed by the hunters, and the KDWP has been ordered to destroy the other elk, which Jansen said had not been located.

Both men were released after individually posting a $2,000 surety bond.

They both pled not guilty during their first appearance, and a preliminary hearing has been scheduled at 3 p.m. Dec. 14.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
:thumbsdown:

I think this is a case of the blind leading the blind... but he did not deserve to die even though he was knowingly breaking the law. The 2 barneys will be facing manslaughter charges most likely.

edit Oops then attempted manslauighter or at least reckless endangerment.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This gentleman did not die. At least not that I know of. I was just trying to plant the seed of watching what you are shooting at. Look to see what is on the other side. Guys please be careful. I don't want to be responding to any hunting accidents this season.

We had one hunting accident 2 years ago. Guy was deer hunting with his brother in law. They shot a deer and got back to the truck in a hurry to go get it. One guy forgot to unload his rifle and it went off shooting the other guy in the face. He was dead before First Responders and Paramedics got there.

2nd one a guy was turkey hunting. He had a decoy's head sticking out of his vest. As he was crawling up an embankment, his hunting partner shot him in the head at 35 yards. He died after they airlifted him to a trauma center.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Last year out here in Washington 2 guys were hunting a sandbar on low tide the tide came in and they couldn't reach thier boat and didnt live through the episode. Be careful and pay attn. out there guys. Our numbers our shrinking as it is

·
Registered
248 Posts
:oops: IT IS UNFORTUNATE...............
i tell my students all the time , and every class we go over saftey
to see if it soaks in

·
Registered
107 Posts
ks_waterfowler said:
This gentleman did not die. At least not that I know of. I was just trying to plant the seed of watching what you are shooting at. Look to see what is on the other side. Guys please be careful. I don't want to be responding to any hunting accidents this season.

We had one hunting accident 2 years ago. Guy was deer hunting with his brother in law. They shot a deer and got back to the truck in a hurry to go get it. One guy forgot to unload his rifle and it went off shooting the other guy in the face. He was dead before First Responders and Paramedics got there.

2nd one a guy was turkey hunting. He had a decoy's head sticking out of his vest. As he was crawling up an embankment, his hunting partner shot him in the head at 35 yards. He died after they airlifted him to a trauma center.
ks_waterfowler

We have a helmet mounted F.L.I.R. (forward looking infra red) The blind no longer lead the blind. The walls aren't important to our searches anymore.

Thanks alot for your report on hunter safety. I was out with a father son team teal hunting. A low flier zipped passed them. The son shot his dad's shotgun mag tube. The wad was jammed in the mags connection to the barrel. His Dad was very fortunate to recieve only a slight shrapnel type injury to the bridge of his nose.

Fire Dist. Life Member who pulled hard for the F.L.I.R. and got it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Very sad events...a family friend of mine hunted with a .22 12 guage convert with no saftey....tripped over a log and killed himself....have to always be careful wen handling a firearm...not just while shooting

·
Registered
22 Posts
JOHNSTON CITY IL- Authorities in Williamson County said a southern Illinois man died after accidentally shooting himself while hunting.
Coroner Mike Burke said 53-year-old Garry Dawes wounded himself shortly before 9 a.m. on Sunday at the Tim Grounds Hunting Club in rural Williamson County.
Burke pronounced him dead a short time later.
The coroner said Dawes apparently was hunting with friends when his gun accidentally discharged.

This stuff is very sad and i hate to see anything bad happen to anyone expecially if there doing something they love Johnston City is about 12 miles away from me so it seems alot worse it could of been me never know so everyone have a great season and most important be safe.

·
Registered
752 Posts
A few years back a duck hunter got shot by his own dog. I'm serious! This was in Back Bay south of Virginia Beach,. VA.

He knocked down a duck back behind his boat. He leaned his gun up against the side wall and got out of the boat to get the duck. Your not suppose to leave your boat there for any reason as the marsh will suck you up. Very dangerous to walk on!

I don't know why the dog didn't go to get it, I assume he was an untrained younger dog.

On his way back to the boat the dog was jumping around in the boat with excitement and stepped on the gun's trigger . The gun discharged and took off half his face and he lost an eye. He's lucky to be alive!

This is a true story. I was there hunting that day.

·
Registered
14,805 Posts
Isn't it a misnomer to call it hunting when the elk is transported so that two guys can shoot it (at the same time)? Might as well tie it to the tree.

I hate to hear about people getting shot, and I am not making light of this, but maybe a little karma is in play.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Last season a good friend and guide was acidentally shot in the back of the head as he rose to spot a cripple. The sport fired again in hopes of anchoring said cripple. He made a crucial mistake and it cost him his life. The sport was a preacher who brought along his son. How do you live with that. It is a hell on earth. All it takes is a split second guys.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Has anyone else been missing Nonya's cheery self? How ya been Nonya? You ornry bastard! :hi:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.