Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am new to California duck hunting and am wondering about hunting the Don Edwards NWR. I have looked around but have not found much information regarding this area. Does anyone know anything about this area or places near by? Any information would be helpful. Thanks.

· Registered
86 Posts
From http://desfbay.fws.gov/basic.htm ...

The Refuge offers sites for waterfowl hunting mid-October to
mid-January. Check the California Waterfowl Regulations each
season for opening and closing dates. All hunting areas are
boat-access only, except for Ravenswood. Additional information
is available in the Visitor Center.

Additional details here

http://library.fws.gov/Refuges/SFBayHuntFish02.pdf

I live pretty close to the Ravenswood area, and although I've been tempted to wander over to check it out, I haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't have a boat, though, so it's probably not usable for me.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went and checked it out tonight. It was my first time duck hunting and needless to say I went home empty handed. I'm going out tomorrow morning to see If I can do any better. I figure the more time i spend in the field the more that I will learn. Thanks for the info.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went to the Ravenswood area by the power station. There is a blind set up at one of the points and a spent some time there and walked a bit. I only saw a few ducks and they were way out of range. The area seems to be hunted quite extensively but its nice to get out. I just moved here from Arizona and have never hunted ducks until two days ago. I have done a lot of quail hunting and have always been interested in duck hunting. Since the ravenswood area is close i can get out there during the week when there are few people out there. I think I need to learn a bit more before i go out while other hunters are out there. The last thing I want to due is interfere with someone who knows what they are doing.

How is the Los Banos Area? I looked around and it there appears to be a number of refuges in that area. Do any have free roam areas or are they designated blinds? Every thing that I have read makes it seem hard to get reservations for a blind. Are there free roam areas on Bair Island? I have not heard anything about it in what I have read.

I don't have a boat or any decoys but by next season who knows. I'm trtyng to learn as much as I can during this season and hope to get my first duck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.