Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What style / method of hunting do you use? Stand hunting, Deer drives, Hounds, Bait, Food plots, Still hunting, spot and stalk.

I use a Tree stand over bait for bears, as this is how we have to hunt them here, and I either still hunt or hunt over a trail or scrape from a tree stand for deer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
598 Posts
I do 90% of my deer hunting from a stand. The other 10% I sit on the ground or spot and stalk. I place my stands on well used trails and rub lines or in the edge of a field. Basically in any area that gets used alot by the deer. We don't have any food plots. We've been thinking about making one but I doubt we'll ever get around to doing it. Before the beginning of season we put out salt licks and stuff.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
622 Posts
Mostly deer hunting from stands around food sources and funnels. I still hunt some, but I am mostly scouting when i do this. I really like lock-on style stands for bowhunting and I use a climber quite a bit, too. We have a few permanent stands that still some of our best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
533 Posts
The big farm that we hunt has three food plots that we have made over the last three years. We also have about 8 or 10 lock-on stands set up on the food plots & in a few funnels. I also use a climber when I want to hunt a new spot or the change there pattern. :smile: I have only killed about 4 deer with my bow while on the ground. When I used to hunt with a gun or muzzleloader I used to do a lot of stalking & ground hunting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
883 Posts
Strictly stand hunting for me. Sneak in and sneak out. I hunt my family's 80 acres and have 4 portable stands set up at around 20-25 feet. Nothing more I HATE is people walking around at first light when the rut is kicking in! Find a tree and roost! :pissed: I have a 16 year old cousin that can't sit still for 10 minutes and will NOT listen to anyone or anything. I feel you can do all the walking around in the off season while scouting deer sign and trails. I use cameras to see whats lurking in my neck of the woods and have all the trails down to what deer are using them and when. I also set up scrape drippers. (they work GREAT). I take my bow hunting, and rifle season, very seriously. Carbon scent suit, cover scents, scent lock bags for my clothes, special clothes wash, body wash, shampoo, deodorant and on and on. It seems like alot of work, but it has paid off in big ways for me in the past seasons.
:salude:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,947 Posts
i just drive around in my truck until something in season runs across the road. then i pick up the appropriate gun from the back seat and take a shot. :eek:

nah..just kiddin'. but i'd probably do better if i did. I usually try to pick a spot and then just sit and wait. NW Oregon is nasty thick stuff that is basically impossible to walk through and if you try every deer within 10 square miles will know you are there before you take 5 steps. I usually find some edges where the forset and a clearcut area meet and set up just inside the treeline and wait it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
Swamp Puppy said:
i just drive around in my truck until something in season runs across the road. then i pick up the appropriate gun from the back seat and take a shot. :eek:

nah..just kiddin'. but i'd probably do better if i did. I usually try to pick a spot and then just sit and wait. NW Oregon is nasty thick stuff that is basically impossible to walk through and if you try every deer within 10 square miles will know you are there before you take 5 steps. I usually find some edges where the forset and a clearcut area meet and set up just inside the treeline and wait it out.
:toofunny: Nice Swamps!

-Stouff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,008 Posts
Hey red, when your huntin bears, do you bait them? My only knowledge of bear huntin comes from tv. I just don't like the fact that the bears have there heads stuck in a barrel full of goodies when the guy takes his shot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,202 Posts
ACE,
I havnt done a bair bait hunt (yet).

It just depends on how you feel 'bout that stuff. I respect yer oppinion, but I dont have a prob. w/ that. BECAUSE those black bear are responsible for a HUGE majority of all the moose calf deaths.

Folks that do that, are mostly doing it w/ bow or black powder, for predator control. Even if it was w/ a rifle, it is good to be rid of a few black bears, they are fierce predators to all the other game in the woods. -All part of game management (you have to get a permit- they only issue a certain number).

Great ? though! :thumbsup:
-Stouff
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top