Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Hunted many a river out of my kayak and it is very stable. I have a Wildernes Systems Pamlico 100, my buddy has a Old Town Dirigo 106 and I have also hunted out of a Heritage Classic 9.5. You can paint them camo and use grass matts to make very good (and light) blinds. What type of water are you planning on hunting?

·
Registered
740 Posts
I would suggest something along the lines of the ones I listed above. Nothing bigger as you want to be as concealed as possible. Also, whatever you get, I would suggest something with a fairly flat bottom. A larger keel will get caught in the current and push you around causing you to paddle a lot to keep straight. The ones I listed above are all great river hunting yaks, whether it be small creeks or larger rivers. They can handle up to III class rapids if needed so stability and durability will not be an issue. The Old Town Dirigo has by far the most comfortable seat I have ever seen in a kayak. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I have a Carstens Puddler and it works great for water like what you are going to hunt. It is small enough to hide easy but I can put a dog and a couple dozen decoys in it.

It handles great and is very stable to shoot out of. I can get it across a mud flat with no problem.

The Pintail is great too if you need a little more room.

Ryan

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Got a heritage angler 9.5 and I love it. it came in a tan color so I just paintd with some flat brown and olive drab and I carry a shadowgrass sheet. It is stable to hunt and shoot from and only weighs 39 lbs.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
While it is not a kayak - you can do a search on here and on the Refuge for "Hybrid" - it will work in the situation you are talking about.

You can also do a regular on-line search for Pinatil and find the old plans for the Pintail boat - nice rig.

Good luck.

I have a kayak but haven't hunted out of it - 10 ft Pelican sit inside model. maybe this year?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts