Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've seen jack russels terriers retrieve duck before but i don't know when the proper time to train them is. i'm wondering if i could train mine as if it were a lab. i've hunted with labs before but i wanted to try something different.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm going to answer this because I've got a big soft spot for all dogs. Do your dog a big favor and let him do what he was bred to do and he was not bred to be a retriever. I have no doubt that on rats and gophers and other small rodents your dog would be right in his element but he will never be a duck dog.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For what it's worth, there was an article in Gundog magazine here awhile back about a pointing JRT.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
i agree about keeping a dog in his element. a lot of JRT's don't weigh as much as some ducks. i couldn't imagine them retrieving in the water. i have seen people use them for quail which i am not even fond of, but that makes a little more sense.

if you want your JRT to experience the outdoors with you, take up squirrel hunting. they are great for that. it's a good time, too.

***NOTE*** no offense was intended by this message, just my personal opinion. from your original post, i gather that you want to find ways to experience the outdoors with your dog, which i support 1000%. hopefully, that is how you took my response.

·
Registered
271 Posts
They trained a JRT to CALL turkeys?!?!?!

If they can call ducks and geese I'm going to get one!

:eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.