Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The main page has an article on how to clean ducks and geese. There is no mention of taking the legs. Breasting birds larger than teal is illeagle here in Montana and the other local states around here. You are required to harvest the legs. I think that if he is going to give instructions on how to clean a bird, he should at least mention that you are meant to keep the legs. Afterall, if you need to read this article on how to clean a bird, you are probably not experienced enough to know that you have to keep the legs.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Good point - perhaps in the future, something can be incorporated to address different regulations in different states. If you would like, you can either send him a PM, or I can bring it up to him. As I'm sure you understand it would be difficult to address every state's differeing regulations and still present a straightforward article.
Just shoot him a PM at his username "Chris Hustad" or let me know and I will pass it along.

As an aside, I would hope that all new hunters are taking the time to learn their local regs - a national website or magazine cannot hope to be the single source of information regarding legality.
-Erik

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
For transport purposes, you are required to keep a fully feathered head or wing. Beyond that, my experience has been that what you do after that is not regulated. I have heard of some states addressing wanton waste though such regulations, but cannot specifically cite any.
So breasting at the end of a day of hunting and then driving home would be a bad thing, but once its ready for the pan, I don't know of any legal regs. Someone else may want to correct me on this or add their special regs.
-Erik

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
It varies from state to state. In Alabama, breasting is legal.

Federal laws state:
Wanton waste. You must make a reasonable effort to retrieve all waterfowl that you kill or cripple and keep these birds in your actual custody while in the field. You must immediately kill any wounded birds that you retrieve and count those birds toward your daily bag limit.
http://www.fws.gov/le/HuntFish/waterfowl_baiting.htm

It does not talk about which parts need to be kept.

I'm just trying to state facts, I'll let you guys debate the morality of it.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
quackpipe said:
The main page has an article on how to clean ducks and geese. There is no mention of taking the legs. Breasting birds larger than teal is illeagle here in Montana and the other local states around here. You are required to harvest the legs. I think that if he is going to give instructions on how to clean a bird, he should at least mention that you are meant to keep the legs. Afterall, if you need to read this article on how to clean a bird, you are probably not experienced enough to know that you have to keep the legs.
quackpipe is correct. Several states have regulations stating the minimum parts of the bird that must be kept to prevent "wanton waste," and those are state-specific regulations.

They give the bird size, and what needs to be kept:

From memory it goes something like this:

Teal sized bird: Breasts

Mallard sized bird: Breasts and legs

Goose or Turkey: Breasts, legs, wings

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Each State is going to define it differently. Here what is listed in the 2007 South Dakota Hunting/Trapping Handbook:

Page 25, LAWS and REGULATIONS, Federal Laws for Migratory Game Birds (cont'd)

Wanton Waste
No person shall kill or cripple any migratory game bird pursuant to Federal regulations without making a reasonable effort to retrieve the bird, and retain it in his actual custody, at the place where
taken or between that place and either
a) his automobile or principal means of land transportation; or
b) his personal abode or temporary or transient place of lodging; or
c) a migratory bird preservation facility; or
d) a post office; or
e) a common carrier facility (UPS, FedEx, etc.)

Page 43, LAWS & REGULATIONS, General Laws-Continued,

The following are illegal:
-No one may wantonly waste game.

Page 47, LAWS & REGULATIONS, General Laws-Continued

Sale/Use of Wildlife
-No person may sell or barter game birds or animals except for skin, head or bone-hard antlers of big game; skin or plumage of
pheasants, sharp-tailed grouse, prairie chickens or gray partridge; and furbearers.
-No person may sell or offer for sale antlers in the velvet except those legally taken during a big game season that have been tagged by a Conservation Officer.
-No person may wantonly waste game.

So there you have it for South Dakota. The important thing it to read your rule book and know before you go.

·
Registered
96 Posts
quackpipe said:
There is no mention of taking the legs. Breasting birds larger than teal is illeagle here in Montana and the other local states around here.
ND is local state to MT, but you aren't required to keep legs here.

In some states it's legal to throw birds in your trash, the only requirement to "wanton waste" laws is to make an adequate effort to retrieve every crippled bird.
We use this method to bring our ducks and geese across the Canadian border, and use a marker to write the date when the bird was harvested. We have found that wardens appreciate our attention to detail and the ease of tracking bird harvest.
Directly from the article. Quackpipe, I think you're splitting hairs over the article. To some it might be informative, to you it wasn't. Big deal. If I sat online on complained about articles I've read that didn't "enlighten me"....I'd waste a lot more time on the internet than I already do. :yes:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Matt Jones said:
quackpipe said:
There is no mention of taking the legs. Breasting birds larger than teal is illeagle here in Montana and the other local states around here.
ND is local state to MT, but you aren't required to keep legs here.

In some states it's legal to throw birds in your trash, the only requirement to "wanton waste" laws is to make an adequate effort to retrieve every crippled bird.
We use this method to bring our ducks and geese across the Canadian border, and use a marker to write the date when the bird was harvested. We have found that wardens appreciate our attention to detail and the ease of tracking bird harvest.
Directly from the article. Quackpipe, I think you're splitting hairs over the article. To some it might be informative, to you it wasn't. Big deal. If I sat online on complained about articles I've read that didn't "enlighten me"....I'd waste a lot more time on the internet than I already do. :yes:
Matt- you need to get laid.
Keep throwing those ducks away. :fingerhead:

·
Registered
96 Posts
quackpipe said:
Matt- you need to get laid.
What, are you offering? Is that a solicitation?

Sorry bro, but I'm not into dudes. :thumbsup:
quackpipe said:
Keep throwing those ducks away. :fingerhead:
I actually pluck all my ducks...except for ones that are too shot up or pinny. In that case I'll breast them. I don't like to waste them personally.

I was just explaining the law in certain states to you, since you clearly don't understand that states other than MT have different guidelines.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Hey - Let's rein it in guys. Quackpipe's post was with the best intentions. When you get easily offended, though, it's time to step away from the computer. No personal bashing will be tolerated from this point forward.
-Erik

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.