Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw these two guys thought some people here might be interested. Would this goose be a white fronted/canada? and there is a black/mallard hybird behind the black duck.

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
I see the hybrid duck. The goose looks to be mostly tame gander.

·
Registered
410 Posts
No idea but sweet pics!!

I think you're right though.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Now the duck cross that I see is the same one alot of guys post and what did everyone decide it was? Mottled something or other or a cross? IMO that goose is a cross tween a canada and a Domestic, was kicked out of the park and has now joined up with a renegade band of Misfits. Terrorizing parks and allowing people to take there pictures for a couple bucks and some smack.

·
Registered
668 Posts
The duck is a mallard/black hybrid, different from the other hybrid post. The goose is a common african goose, barnyard variety - they can fly pretty good though. Take a good look at the black duck in the foreground (much darker) the hen mallards in the background are a lighter brown. The hybrid and the black also have purple on their wings instead of the blue that the mallards have. Great pictures, good ones to learn from.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
jrockncash said:
Now the duck cross that I see is the same one alot of guys post and what did everyone decide it was? Mottled something or other or a cross? IMO that goose is a cross tween a canada and a Domestic, was kicked out of the park and has now joined up with a renegade band of Misfits. Terrorizing parks and allowing people to take there pictures for a couple bucks and some smack.
Everything will be ok until she starts turning tricks. Then we'll have to draw the line. :rofl:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sweet pics!

That goose looks exactly like my neighbor's farm geese! We often see his mixed in with a flock of local honkers. Contrary to some people's beliefs, farm geese can actually fly. We've had his fly over into our fields numerous times. So no, don't think it's a hybrid just a flying farm goose :yes:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't know what the laws are in every state....but please post up if you've had a similar experience to the following:

One time I was under surveillance by the local CO…but I didn't know it. Anyway….slow morning and the CO certainly wasn't being treated to any excitement whatsoever in his observation of me. Outside of the occasional scratch or pick-n-flick…there just wasn't much a-cookin'.

Then I heard a gawd-awful noise from up-river. Through the trees I could see a goosey-like form coming in, but the call was not of anything I'd ever had pass my ears. When it cleared the trees in front of me I kind of did a 'Roger-Rabbit' with my eyes. This "goose" was huge, making strange, other-worldly sounds and looked like NO…ZERO…NADA goose I'd ever seen. As I started to lower my gun I was about startled out of my skin by a loud, booming voice yelling "SHOOT IT!!!". This, of course, did everything you'd expect to my shooting concentration. I spun around looking for the joker yelling only to see said CO tripping over himself trying to get out of the weeds…the whole time yelling for me to shoot. As you might imagine…a trigger was never pulled. This odd goose continued his merry way down river.

After some verbal ugliness with said CO, he did relay to me that farm geese are to be shot on sight. To make it short…the CO said that many of these farm geese that go "rouge" may have been vaccinated and therefore able to carry certain nasty pathogens into wild flocks. Ok…possibly. I simply ended the event by telling the CO that a less dramatic entrance might have seen the "rouge goose" shot.

Anyway…most of us have got a strange story or two to tell…this is one of mine. The only thing that would have made it better is if I'd shot the damn farm goose.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I shot a farm goose this year, first goose I ever shot. Its the one in the right of the pic just in case you can't tell. I guess the funny part of the story is that my friend had been trying to shoot it for 3 years. Oh yeah, they really got on my case when the speckled belly following it flaired after seeing his buddy die. WHOOPSY!! I had no idea what a speckled belly was. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

·
Registered
181 Posts
we had a white farm goose fly across the field and into our spread at 8am and left at 5pm lol. He stuck around after us chasing/shooting etc.. then when we put all the decoys away, he flew away 3 or 4 fields down. We would have shot, but his neighbour has farm geese. Might have been his lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts