Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I just bought the Hydroturf for my boat and I was wondering (for those who had experience with it) what is the best way/adhesive to apply this to the flat surfaces. Prep and so on. Any help would be great! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
206 Posts
First off make sure to clean the surface very good. I've used acetone but any good cleaner will work. You could use a high pressure car wash & drive it home letting it dry thoroughly. Cut the hydro-turf to fit first. Having a friend to help hold it in place is a big plus. I've used 3M-90 spray adhesive & it holds well. Spray both surfaces liberally & let it tack till almost dry (about 5 minutes or so). Make sure it's where you want it cause it's gonna stick REALLY good (this is where the extra set of hands comes into play). Then press it down. I also take a piece of cpvc pipe & roll down the turf to get rid of any bubbles & smooth it out.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thats it, just spray adhesive. I bought the sheets without the 3m adhesive. so just spray adhesive has worked for you? How long has it been down? This sounds almost too easy.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Two different 3M adhesives are available. Do what Cutt says and use the Super 90.

I have done a few turf jobs but have always used the adhesive-backed sheets. I have also prepped as Cutt says by wiping with acetone or denatured alcohol. Usually I have used mineral spirits and then denatured alcohol to pull up any remaining petroleum residuals from the thinner. Probably way too finicky, but I have had good luck with adhesion.

You are going the right path with Hydroturf. I will never, ever have a hunting boat without it (and I change boats a lot!).

Good luck.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I've had the hydroturf in my boat for one season. Luv it.

Like the other guys said, make sure the floor is clean. Use the 3m spray and let it get tacky before you put it down, otherwise it won't stick good. I waited about 2 minutes after I sprayed both the floor and the turf.

Yes it was easy. Did a 18x60 boat, floor, deck and any flat surface in about 5 hours.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Pillowcasr, I did the same as above with the 3M spray. It has been down for over a year without any wear. My boat is kept in a garage, so it doesn't have all the elements, all the time. I love the stuff, easy to clean, doesn't hold water like carpet, isn't slippery when wet, it's great. I got mine from mud buddy, they carry a camo hydroturf.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice action! thanks guys! :thumbsup: The 3m 90 stuff it is. I would much rather mask and spray than have to brush adhesive which can get messy IMO. How many cans would I need to do a 1548? I ordered 4 sheets.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 3M-90 has a nozzle that is adjustable & it sprays either a wide or narrow spray. You can turn the nozzle to limit the amount of overspray on the sides. You'll see when you start spraying! The 3M-77 adhesive does not have the adjustable nozzle & isn't as strong as the 3M-90. Don't worry about overspray as David said, you won't notice it after a few days. Don't be stingy with the adhesive. For 4 sheets I'd get 3 cans & take back what I didn't use or keep it cause you'll probably start putting more hydro-turf down on other things like: tongue of trailer, fender wells, top of gun box, etc. etc. Great anti-slip for fender wells! Lowes or Home Depot have the adhesive.

·
Registered
175 Posts
btw, dentured alchohol is what I was told to use to clean the surface. I found it in the same area as the mineral spirits.

When you cut the sheets using a straight edge, you can cut the edges at an angle. Instead of the edges looking like l..........l cut them at an angle to look like /.........\ It looks better and there is less of a chance of the edges catching on a boot or something and getting pulled up.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts