Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard that chocolate labs are more hyper than black or yellow labs. Is there any truth to this?

We have the opportunity to get a CL now or wait for who knows how long for a toller.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
In theory there is no correlation to a labs color and it's disposition. "Hyperness" is somewhat a function of the genetic disposition of the dog's parents and mostly related to obedience training or a lack there of.

HOWEVER, my personal experience agrees with your observation. I have certainly seen well behaved chocolates, but they are far and away the exception and not the rule.

Here's my theory on it: Not too long ago chocolates were very popular and everyone had one (yellow seems to have taken over lately). I think the stereotype that chocolates have of being poorly behaved is a function of poor dog ownership manifested by people who wanted the "cool" thing but did not care to invest the time in properly training the dog, rather than a reflection on the potential of the dog itself. I believe that most dogs, when properly obedience trained, are not hyper by virtue of the facts that 1- they are not allowed to be hyper and 2 - they know their place in the pack which mellows the dog out.

*I say "most" dogs because there are some dogs that have been poorly treated and experienced so much trama that they are untrainable.

With all that said, I stick to black. Always will. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
44 Posts
thewife

don't believe everything you read or hear. I have raised and trained all colors lab. I have found over the years that each dog/color has his/her own personality. I have had hyper dogs in all colors. As Forrest Gump Said. "life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your going to get." I feel the same way with each litter of pups. So do some research on the parents and pick the color that you like.... hope this helps and good luck with your new pup.....

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Choc Lab vs a Toller ---- you need to evaluate this more that just the potential hyperness of a choc lab.

This site has some folks with really nice chocolates and the common theme is solid breeding lines. My personal experience and personal opinion would have put a chocolate down the line of potential dogs I would look at due to exposure to very few good ones. Seeing some of the ones here would make me look a bit if I was to consider a lab.

Now Lab (does not matter on color) vs a Toller

Training -- It is easier to train a lab. Generally they overcome pressure easier and tend to depersonalize the corrections. Tollers have been described as having a stubborn "show me why" personality and to overcome this you spend more hands on time. You train both breeds the same way but it could take extra effort with the Toller

Intellegence -- Both dogs are very smart. I have heard the comment more often to Tollers that they are to smart. What that means in training is that they do not allways take the instruction and bull straight ahead -- they look like they are figuring things out -- for some trainers this is a problem.

Size -- Labs are typically 1.5 to 2 times the size of a Toller. This has advantages in busting cover, extra speed and handling big birds (large geese). Tollers can fit anywhere. We prefer this size at 40 lbs as they seem to disappear in a vehicle, the trailer, in a blind.

Excercise -- Both dogs need excercise and if you get a field breed lab it will be the same as a Toller. These are performance dogs and need excercise time. I have seen quite a few Tollers that do not have an off switch (this can be annoying) and I can not say the same for labs. Most labs can settle down when the program is over.

Coat -- Both dogs shed. Labs short hair, Tollers long. Coat maintenance for burrs is more of a problem with Tollers.

Health -- Both breeds have problems. Very improtant to check the breeder and the history from the kennel carefully. I would walk away from any kennel that has the slightest history of problems. Not just in the line being bred but in the breeding history for the kennel.

What are you going to really do with the dog? -- Hunting or multiple activities -- Both breeds excell at obedience, both are good for hunting waterfowl and upland, labs handle big water better, Tollers are better for some of the non-hunting activities like agility (if this is a family dog), both dogs handle cold well (I think Tollers have an edge here based on my personal experiences).

First Time dog owner / trainer -- most likely easier to train a lab

thewife -- Sorry if I took this away a bit from your original question but there are other factors to consider. What ever your decision I can not stress enough going to quality breeding. It sure sounds like you want a pup in a hurry and I can not stress the benifits of taking your time to find a solid breeder for what ever line you choose.

Oh by the way I do have permission to get a lab for my next dog. Why would I consider this? I am thinking of trials and this would not fit a Tollers capabilities.

Hugh

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
I've had 3 Yellows Labs that we're mild mannered. I'm on my second Chocolate now and both have been Hyperactive. I've never owned a Black Lab but have hunted over a few of em' and they we're in control.
I adopted this Chocolate at 7 months old. She had ZERO training when I got her. She is about 11 months old now and starting to calm down due to OB training. (I hope) :tongue:

Every Chocolate I've ever been around seems to have an over abundance of energy, and as far as I know, there is no "Off" switch. :eek:

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I really don't think that coat color has anything to do with whether or not the dog is hyper. I have seen hyper yellows, chocolates and blacks. Some dogs just require more running and excercise than others...also, take a look at the parents when you are selecting your breeding pair...this will tell more about the pups than the coat color will. You can also pick out the more active dogs when they are pups, as well....

Labs

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
2Tollers:
Excercise -- Both dogs need excercise and if you get a field breed lab it will be the same as a Toller. These are performance dogs and need excercise time. I have seen quite a few Tollers that do not have an off switch (this can be annoying) and I can not say the same for labs. Most labs can settle down when the program is over.
Labs:
Some dogs just require more running and excercise than others...
I've never seen a dawg that ran a couple/few miles, swam several hundred yards that was hyperactive. In fact all mine were quite mellow after the workout.

The point is; these dawgs are athletes and need to be treated as such. I feel guilty if I don't spend the hour to work 'em out hard.

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
thewife - as a chocolate owner I commend all the comments above. As was stated...it is breeding and training that determines what you get.

At my last hunt test training their was a young black dog going absolutely CRAZY at the line after a mark was thrown. Screaming and squirming like a banshee. WAY more dog than I would ever need or want. I give the handler credit -the dog didn't creep but man was he ready to go. Very high drive dog...would that be breeding or color?

I hunted with a guy this fall and my dog was a machine finding Pheasants that day. At the end the guy said "man...chocolates have great noses, I have hunted over a few blacks, yellows and a couple Goldens that didn't find birds that well".

I know a few of the dogs he was referring to and I'll tell ya...those dogs get on birds about 4 times a year. Otherwise they are in the lazy boy. :yes: My dog was over 300 birds by 16 months.

So do Choc's have 'better' noses - no. But sometimes they have better owners. :yes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
harvey1b said:
In theory there is no correlation to a labs color and it's disposition. "Hyperness" is somewhat a function of the genetic disposition of the dog's parents and mostly related to obedience training or a lack there of.

HOWEVER, my personal experience agrees with your observation. I have certainly seen well behaved chocolates, but they are far and away the exception and not the rule.

Here's my theory on it: Not too long ago chocolates were very popular and everyone had one (yellow seems to have taken over lately). I think the stereotype that chocolates have of being poorly behaved is a function of poor dog ownership manifested by people who wanted the "cool" thing but did not care to invest the time in properly training the dog, rather than a reflection on the potential of the dog itself. I believe that most dogs, when properly obedience trained, are not hyper by virtue of the facts that 1- they are not allowed to be hyper and 2 - they know their place in the pack which mellows the dog out.
Point taken, I think the chocolates I have had experience with were during a time period when they were popular, in fact I dont think I'd even heard of one until I was in my late teens. Then after that, I either despised the owner or the dog was expected to be alone inside 12 hours a day.

I dont know what we will decide, choosing a breed has been an arduous process. We want one that will fit a family with small kids (6, 4, 1) and will be ready to work. Labs are wonderful dogs, Ive never owned a pure breed though, I had a lab/ chessie and a lab/ german shepard (best dog Ive ever had).

·
Administrator
42,494 Posts
thewife said:
I dont know what we will decide, choosing a breed has been an arduous process. We want one that will fit a family with small kids (6, 4, 1) and will be ready to work.
Something just dawned on me.

You have a 1, 4, and 6 year old and you are going to do all the dog training so your husband can hunt (and you can take pictures as I recall).

I think I'd let hubby pick the breed - he seems to be a good picker! :yes: :rofl: :yes: :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I have all three colors and , I believe its more the age of the dog , color doesn't have anything to do with it . All 5 of my labs where HIGHLY energetic till between 2 and 3 yrs of age , then they leveled off to just right in energy :thumbsup:

mined ya , I still have 1 that is a year old , she is black and full of energy.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
HNTFSH said:
I think I'd let hubby pick the breed - he seems to be a good picker! :yes: :rofl: :yes: :thumbsup:
:rofl: :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

That's too much!

I thought you would be proud of me for my post on chocolates. I took the high ground and an unbiased opinion, however, as you know, my personal preference is for the black ones.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts