Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to buy a new gun that should last me for years, i just stocked up enough ammo for the next three seasons, bought a new canoe and put a blind on it, put a blind on my other boat, and got enough clothes and gloves and gear to outfit a platoon. My question is, what do i do next? :huh:

·
Premium Member
6,203 Posts
Scout and hunt. Not sure exactly what your looking for.

·
Registered
187 Posts
It all depends on what your plans are next. Do you have any decoys? Do you have any calls? Practicing is a great idea. Go out and scout the areas you plan to hunt. Watch some duck hunting videos. I would do anything to pass the time until next season begins!

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
shoot-n-goose said:
I'm about to buy a new gun that should last me for years, i just stocked up enough ammo for the next three seasons, bought a new canoe and put a blind on it, put a blind on my other boat, and got enough clothes and gloves and gear to outfit a platoon. My question is, what do i do next? :huh:
If you plan on shooting out of the canoe, spend a lot of time during warm weather in it. Turn it over when it's warm, so you know what it might be like in the winter. If you are going to pull it up against a bank and hunt from it, make sure you can make it a secure shooting platfom.

This is very important, and the cheapest gun insurance you can get:

Buy a rod leash, and attach your gun to it whenever you are in the boat.

If you do, you will eventually have that wonderful sigh of relief when you pull your gun up out of the water. If you don't you may get a sinking feeling right after your gun gets that sinking feeling.

Good luck.

Tom*

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
That's easy, get a second job to pay off your cards J/K Work on your calling, then when you think you have it down, go back and work on it some more. After your lips get tired, drive to the range and shoot till you get a black and blue mark on your shoulder. Then when you can't pick up your gun anymore, go home and tell your wife you have some big o'l bills coming in the mail from all the stuff you bought. Good luck next season Bro :thumbsup:

·
Registered
250 Posts
i agree with everyone on here practice shooting calling in the canoe. everything you can think of. read books watch movies. This is what i do not only to get myseld even more pumped for next season but i am always looking for ways that might give me an edge over the next guy or get more ducks on the dinner table

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
And do you have the right camo pattern? :biggrin:
Seriously, and I don't know your experience, listen to these guys about boat safety and gun leashes, etc. Father in law shot himself out of his boat a number of years ago, retrieved his shotgun and lost his wallet, license, etc. ended up slightly hypothermic. I don't think a canoe would be my first choice to hunt from so make sure you know how it will react in every situation you are likely to encounter, that's what you do this summer. I've seen, and been involved in, a few nasty situations on the water over the years and consider myself lucky I'm typing this now after a couple. Oh yeah, and I can't believe I'm saying this, take a cell phone in about 3 zip lock bags, and also have someone know where you're planning on going and a rough time frame for your return.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not planning on hunting from inside the canoe. I found an island that has worked out perfectly. I learned how to sew and made a cover for it out of some shadow grass. And i do have a dog, a 1 year old gsp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.