Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
We had a Bald Eagle once "retrieve" a crippled Black Duck for us. It was crippled and drifted waaay out before we could get the boat, a Bald Eagle swooped down and grabbed it up, as it turned back and was heading over the decoys, the duck flopped and the Eagle dropped it right in our spread. It was pretty cool to see that happen.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Had that happen this weekend, we were snow goose hunting and dropped one about 80 yards away a bald eagle was circling it and started to swoop down, we had to chase after to scare the eagle away

·
Registered
423 Posts
My parents had a friend who used to duck hunt with a peregrine falcon. It was absolutely incredible to watch! Do any other states besides CA have a falconry season for ducks???

·
Banned
4,940 Posts
Awesome picture badandy ! :thumbsup:

QA,
We have a Falconry Season here in Michigan. You can use this method during the established firearm season
and Jan. 25th thru March 10th.

·
Registered
17,699 Posts
captainduckhead said:
We had a Bald Eagle once "retrieve" a crippled Black Duck for us. It was crippled and drifted waaay out before we could get the boat, a Bald Eagle swooped down and grabbed it up, as it turned back and was heading over the decoys, the duck flopped and the Eagle dropped it right in our spread. It was pretty cool to see that happen.
Did you manage to get a shot at the eagle, or was he to high?

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
He was just out of range :rofl: No but seriously, we all stood and clapped and applauded and cheered for him which scared him off, then the dog brought him back. But oddly enough the dog didn't like the smell of the duck for some reason after the Eagle had it, so I assumed it was the smell of the Eagle that sketched him out.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
Sweet video, I wanna know where you can order the sound track :rofl:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Where do you get a hawk and how do you go about training it? we have a season here in georgia this would be something amazing to actually do..

any help?

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
DylanK15 said:
Where do you get a hawk and how do you go about training it? we have a season here in georgia this would be something amazing to actually do..

any help?
Get a book on it and read it. I did, it is a really intensive process to break the bird, and once you do then you have to train the bird to hunt. You have to be seriously dedicated to go through all the pains it takes to train and keep the bird healthy. It is really easy for the birds to die, and there is also the moment that you release it for the first time. There is no guarantee that the bird will be coming back. You could spent lots of money and time just to watch your bird fly away.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Haha thats a good pic but i dont think i would want that as my criple retriever because i would finally get my first band and it would swoop down and take it away for GOOD! :yes:

·
Registered
187 Posts
I believe that it does take a lot of training and quite a few hours of "schooling" before they will give you a falconers license. Ive looked it up before thinking it was a cool idea until I saw how much time it took to even get the license!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts