Duck Hunting Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been hunting since I was 12 and I am a better than average caller, I know the call can't make caller. I want a soft to medium volume call(Timber Rattler) or anything that will last and be reliable???????Thanks for any help

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well I would say get a Carlson call but thats my opinion and I think that if you would call Him ( Jim James ) and take to him about his calls or look at www.carlsoncalls.com . But if you want to get a foils then get a foils I know that the foils calls get alot of P.R. and that makes them a better call to most people.

TOM Thats my .02

·
Registered
57 Posts
you said reliable call well dont go with a foiles youll be sorry and i dont know what the hpye is a bout the expensive calls go to walmart and get a haydel dr-85, a h.s. black ice and a buck garderner double nasty2 and thats all you will need and look you saved $75 i got 2 foiles a big guys best and they are on my 2 year old sons lanyard if that tell you anything fut if you decide to spent the money go with a rich n tone

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to where you can blow different calls and choose one that suits you. Just cause you got an expensive call doesn't mean you gonna kill more ducks. I prefer RNT and Gaston. I would highly recommend a RNT hedge short barrel or Gaston timber.

·
Registered
598 Posts
The Daisy Cutter is supposed to be like a cross between a short barrel and an original, but yea it can be kind of loud. But I have had great success with it in the timber as well as fields. I would say you could use it anywhere, good all around call.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Mark McCummins said:
Check Mick Lacy's Big River double reed; nice, loud as you want, soft as you want, easy to blow - if that's a factor. @$24.00 - unbeatable.
Tried one out at a sporting goods store. It will be the next call to go on my lanyard.

·
Registered
658 Posts
LUV2DUChunt,

I've fell victim to the "duck call buying bug" too many times looking for that perfect call. I've ended up with a bag full of calls that I never use. I have a couple of RNT calls, a BGB call, several ECHO calls (that, by the way are very easy to use), several Primos calls (which are are also easy to use). But the only call that I've found that actually stands up to it's waterproof claim is Cuttdown calls. I hunted at Peach Point WMA about four years ago when a cold front blew through. I was laying in the mud on the south side of a football sized water hole, trying to take advantage of cover the saltgrass provided when it came through. The wind kicked up to about 30 mph and blew all the water to my side of the pond, so I was then laying in about 6 inches of water. Wasn't about to leave or sit up above the grass though, because the birds wanted to hit the water. My calls were hanging down into the water, and my Cuttdown calls were the only calls I could simply pick up out of the water and blow with no problem. They have acrylic and wood calls priced from 30 to around 70 bucks or so. Maybe a little higher now, haven't had to buy one in a while. They are easy to blow as well. Soft quacks to screamin high balls, they do it all. You probably will need to order directly from Cuttdown though, haven't seen too many places that carry them for some reason. Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hey thanks for the help, I am seriously looking at the foiles timber rattler. Thanks again and good luck

·
Registered
375 Posts
Take another look @ Rick Dunn's Echo calls. My burnt B-D'arc/cocobolo Echo Timber pulls em' in close every time. Simply a great all around call. :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.